Is Dan Cathy a bigoted homophobe?

This question is primarily for "liberals" or those who renounce the traditional idea of marriage. I'm wondering if someone can oppose same-sex marriage without being "bigoted" or "homophobic"? In other words, must Dan Cathy (and others) abandon his Christocentric beliefs to avoid the wrath and fury of homosexual men and women?

Context here.

Dan Cathy: "We [Chick-Fil-A] are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that … We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that."

[quote="stewstew03, post:1, topic:292915"]
This question is primarily for "liberals" or those who renounce the traditional idea of marriage. I'm wondering if someone can oppose same-sex marriage without being "bigoted" or "homophobic"? In other words, must Dan Cathy (and others) abandon his Christocentric beliefs to avoid the wrath and fury of homosexual men and women?

[/quote]

PRmerger to the liberals:

http://technicallyimpartial.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

[quote="PRmerger, post:3, topic:292915"]
PRmerger to the liberals:

http://technicallyimpartial.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

[/quote]

One can never go wrong with Princess Bride references!

:thumbsup:

[quote="stewstew03, post:1, topic:292915"]

[/quote]

"Gay" activist liberals are showing their true antichrist colors by demanding that Christians abandon God's will for the will of a confused hedonist society that calls evil good and good evil.

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!" - Isaiah 5:20, The Holy Bible***

I have read such despicable drivel on the subject of Dan Cathy - who has always been up front about his Christianity - speaking up for traditional marriage.

People try to equate “gay rights” including “marriage” with the civil rights movement of the 1960s; I fail to see how refusing to accept something that is clearly in violation of natural law is in any way equivalent to discriminating against someone solely because of the color of his skin.

If you repeat a lie often enough, many people will believe it. Those who desperately want to be thought of as “tolerant” have caved in, and people who espouse the traditional view that marriage is between a man and a woman are painted as “haters”.

I plan to buy LOTS of Chick-Fil-A.

I wonder when people will start protesting gravity and calling it unfair. Maybe the government will pass a law saying that it’s unfair that birds are born with wings but we are not.

stop using the word homophobic its an invented word. And bigots shouldn’t call people bigots.

[quote="dixieagle, post:6, topic:292915"]

[/quote]

I like Abby Farle :D

allfacebook.com/chick-fil-a-abby-farle_b95527

latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-chick-fil-a-chicago-20120725,0,4158667.story

These guys need a serious overhaul of their PR dept.

:D

Sarah x :)

A phobia is a fear of something. I find it ridiculous to call pro-marriage & pro-family individuals homophobes. We are not afraid of homosexuals. Catholics are taught to embrace everyone. Because we do not embrace gay sex does not mean we fear gays. I wish people would get it straight!

[quote="Petersmate, post:8, topic:292915"]
stop using the word homophobic its an invented word. And bigots shouldn't call people bigots.

[/quote]

Indeed.

The double standard is especially egregious in this type of discussion.

I’ve never eaten one of their chicken sandwichs and never will.

But I’m wondering, if a gay couple walk into one of their stores, will they take their money, or are they principled enough to say Get thee hence with thy sinful ways :confused:

Or do they take gay couples money with a smile and a have a nice day :rolleyes:

Sarah x :slight_smile:

[quote="livingwordunity, post:7, topic:292915"]
I wonder when people will start protesting gravity and calling it unfair. Maybe the government will pass a law saying that it's unfair that birds are born with wings but we are not.

[/quote]

Yep. :sad_yes:

Or perhaps there will soon be a movement to fight for the rights of humanity to breathe underwater.

And to those who declare that it's not part of our nature, perhaps a new word can be created to disparage them: *ichthysphobia. * "Fear of those who want it to be a human right to breathe underwater as fish do."

[quote="livingwordunity, post:7, topic:292915"]
I wonder when people will start protesting gravity and calling it unfair. Maybe the government will pass a law saying that it's unfair that birds are born with wings but we are not.

[/quote]

Bravo!

:p

[quote="dixieagle, post:6, topic:292915"]
I have read such despicable drivel on the subject of Dan Cathy - who has always been up front about his Christianity - speaking up for traditional marriage.

People try to equate "gay rights" including "marriage" with the civil rights movement of the 1960s; I fail to see how refusing to accept something that is clearly in violation of natural law is in any way equivalent to discriminating against someone solely because of the color of his skin.

If you repeat a lie often enough, many people will believe it. Those who desperately want to be thought of as "tolerant" have caved in, and people who espouse the traditional view that marriage is between a man and a woman are painted as "haters".

[/quote]

[quote="atheistgirl, post:12, topic:292915"]
I've never eaten one of their chicken sandwichs and never will.

But I'm wondering, if a gay couple walk into one of their stores, will they take their money, or are they principled enough to say Get thee hence with thy sinful ways :confused:

Or do they take gay couples money with a smile and a have a nice day :rolleyes:

[/quote]

When have you ever heard of them not serving two homosexuals that walk in? If two people walk in how would you know they are having sex unless they start doing it right there on the spot or unless they start yelling, "Hey everybody, we're having sex!"? If anyone gay or straight starts trouble, they have the right to boot them out. The president only said what he believes. He didn't say he was out hunt down and kill every homosexual. Since America is supposed to have freedom of religion, gay activists need to calm down and let others have their religious beliefs.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:16, topic:292915"]
When have you ever heard of them not serving two homosexuals that walk in? If two people walk in how would you know they are having sex unless they start doing it right there on the spot or unless they start yelling, "Hey everybody, we're having sex!"? If anyone gay or straight starts trouble, they have the right to boot them out. The president only said what he believes. He didn't say he was out hunt down and kill every homosexual. "Gay" activists are very hypersensitive and highly defensive.

[/quote]

Exactly :thumbsup:

Unless it was made clear or otherwise stated, no one would have a clue a couple were homosexual.

And it's no one elses business.

They wouldn't be affected by this fact in the slightest.

Just like a gay couple getting married has no effect what so ever on my marriage, or anyone elses marriage :shrug:

My marriage is none of their business. Their marriage is none of my business.

I hope men and women who are homosexual will chose other establishments to purchase a sandwich from :thumbsup:

I try not to judge the ones who keep it to themselves since I have my own sins I struggle with. But the problem is with the ones who throw it in our face and think they have the right to teach it to our kids just because they paid off a politician to agree to make it a law. Just being called a bigot is enough for me to know that it’s affecting me personally in a negative way. But it’s worse when they start telling our children that we are bigots or when they start arresting us for “hate crimes” just for believing that it’s a sin. That’s how it affects all who are Christian and take their faith seriously. I’ve never eaten at Chick-Fil-A, but I will make it a point to do so whenever I think of it because I respect them for standing up against a dumbed down hedonist culture that rejects Natural Law, objective truth, and common sense.

I never will either but only because their business practices are so bad - Abby Farle lol :smiley:

They have a perfect right to demand the same recognition under the law.

I support them in this.

A gay couple living next to me wouldn’t affect me or my family in any way what so ever. But if being recognized as ‘‘married’’ rather than in a civil partnership matters to them, and would make them happier and their relationship somehow for them more valuable, then good for them, I’m all for it.

In the secular sense, the value and worth of my marriage is in no way affected by this.

I’ve already said I can see how sacramentally there will be issues for people of faith and I would never ever support a gay couples right to demand a Church performs a sacramental marriage service for them, if this was opposed to by the Church.

Sarah x :slight_smile:

[quote="atheistgirl, post:19, topic:292915"]
I never will either but only because their business practices are so bad - Abby Farle lol :D

They have a perfect right to demand the same recognition under the law.

I support them in this.

A gay couple living next to me wouldn't affect me or my family in any way what so ever.

[/quote]

It wouldn't affect you, but it affects me because I happen to be a Christian who takes my faith seriously. I have no doubt that it's only a matter of time when those who refuse to acknowledge anything other than the original meaning of marriage will be arrested and imprisoned for "hate crimes". The "gay" activists are extremely aggressive, and they won't stop until they achieve this. When this happens remember that we never tried to imprison them. But I guess it won't matter to you since you won't be the one affected.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.