Is dancing a grave sin?

I am reading a captivating Tan Books biography on St. Jean Vianney (The Cure D’Ars) by Abbe Francis Trochu. According to this book, this Saint worked painstakingly to stop anyone from dancing! In this Saint’s view, dancing was a grave and mortal sin (no exceptions to the rule were given). Clearly, we know that some dancing is immoral; however, the vast majority of Christians would never see the waltz as an abomination to the Almighty! (And I can’t even do the “Chicken Dance.” :o ) On the contrary, many would see dancing as a wholesome activity when done properly. Has the Church every officially spoken on this? Perhaps I am missing something here…

Hi,

We can forgive the holy St. John Vianney for his error. We are all affected by our culture.

There is nothing intrinsically evil about dancing in it self. King David danced and so did St. Teresa of Avila and her sisters.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.