Is Dante's "Comedia Divina" accepted by the Church?

Is Dante Aligheri’s “Divine Comedy” accepted as a Church teaching. In case you’re not familiar with it, it’s a poem about a travel through Purgatory and the various levels of hell.

It’s a beautiful piece of literature…but it isn’t meant to be an infallible teaching of the Church. It’s Dante’s own interpretation.

( it’s La Divina Commedia btw…Dante had just called it “La commedia” Boccaccio added Divina later on)

I don’t think the Church would form an opinion on it since it’s fictional. But I am sure members of the Church are happy that he acknowledges the existence of Purgatory. :o

Personally, I don’t see it as very beautiful. I see as a scary description of hell. Does the church accept that there are different levels of hell?

The Church doesn’t rule one way or another on such things. Again, it’s a work of fiction based on the broad Catholic belief in the afterlife, not an exacting description of any dogmas. :slight_smile:

Dante’s Inferno, especially, is actually more of a political commentary in many places. Many of the people he describes in Hell are figures from his own time, or people who were well known among his audience, and his description of their torments and their places in Hell indicate what he felt they were guilty of.

Peace and God bless!

Dante got his information from the Church the Church didn’t adopt Dante.

This pretty much sums up the Church’s attitude toward Dante: vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xv/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xv_enc_30041921_in-praeclara-summorum_en.html

Would this be blasphemous to say?

At least… I think that’s what it’s about.

Why would one person’s opinion about whether or not a particular work of fiction is beautiful or scary be blasphemous? Dante’s work is not infallible, and even if it were, saying it is scary is not blasphemy.

For example, Revelation is infallible scripture, but at the same time, parts of it are NOT beautiful (although there is beauty in the wording and in the truth). Parts of Revelation are downright terrifying if you sit and think about them. The beautiful truth reveals a scary picture for the future during the tribulation.

Another example: we are to love God with all of our might, but when we truly understand God, we are to be God-fearing as well (understanding that fear has a different meaning in this context than it does in general modern english usage).

Neither of these statements is blasphemy.

The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri is a wonderful Poem. I received a copy las year for Christmas and am just now nearing the end. It is not a light read, and I found myself rereading passagees over to fully take them in.

Dante’s travel through Purgatory, Hell, and Heaven ( people seem to forget there are three parts to it. Most only know of the INFERNO) isvery discriptive, but I do not beleive it was ever intend to be a teaching on what the afterlife is. It is what it is a poetic tale, and I think the Church as always seen it as such.

Dante’s Divine Comedy is a work of fiction.

the Divine Comedy is also intended as allegorical- worth bearing this in mind when reading it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.