Is "Death" a being?

Is “Death” (like the Grim Reaper sort of thing) a being or is it the personification of the idea?

death.monstrous.com/representations_of_death.htm (horrible spelling on this site)

That might answer some of your questions. Death is really just a process, not a person.

Apparently there is an Angel of Death because it(don’t know its gender) is mentioned in the Old Testament story of Moses. :hmmm:

Perhaps Angel of Death isn’t an official office or anything, it might have just been a one time role assigned to the angel.

I wouldn’t be too sure, remember the angelic offices described in Revelations, they not only dealt in death, but with very specific means of killing.

I hadn’t thought of that. Great point.

I was kind of thinking it might have just been someone like Michael or something like that.

I think the angel of death could be your very own guardian angel.

The reason I ask is because a cult was started in Mexico that bascially worships death, they call it St. Death.

azcentral.com/specials/special03/articles/1018Reaper18.html

Also, I’m having a discussion with a fundamentalist on another board and he insists that “Death” is a personage. I say that death is a process or phenomena. There may be an angel of death, but the death that rides a pale horse in Revelations is an allegory.

[quote=Fox]I think the angel of death could be your very own guardian angel.
[/quote]

Hey!:eek: That is a horrible thought:tsktsk: :eek:

Naw. Our bodies just age.They get sick n die. Think of our bodies as cars. They are brand new at first, but then they start to loose that luster, start rusting and eventually stop running. But the soul that departs the body remains forever young.

lol haven’t you heard the blue oyster cult song “don’t fear the reaper”? lol. anyway i think death the being was created my people just to personify the actual act of dying; people like screanwriters and playrights. that way you know someone is dying because of the universal grim reaper popping up in the scene. but what do i know. i’m just a dumb mechanic.

[quote=ComradeAndrei]The reason I ask is because a cult was started in Mexico that bascially worships death, they call it St. Death.

azcentral.com/specials/special03/articles/1018Reaper18.html

Also, I’m having a discussion with a fundamentalist on another board and he insists that “Death” is a personage. I say that death is a process or phenomena. There may be an angel of death, but the death that rides a pale horse in Revelations is an allegory.
[/quote]

I think that I understand the question better now. Would the stories of after death experinces help? I have heard and read many of these stories and, they are all very similar. None of them feature an Angel of Death.

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.