Is dialogue with Islam possible? Yes, Vatican says

Vatican City, Apr 22, 2015 / 12:54 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Amid continued violence by ISIS and other militant Islamist groups, the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue issued a declaration stressing that dialogue with Islam must be sought “now more than ever.”

The council emphasized that “killing in the name of a religion offends God, but it is also a defeat for humanity.”

catholicnewsagency.com/news/is-dialogue-with-islam-possible-yes-and-its-needed-now-more-than-ever-vatican-says-52557/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+catholicnewsagency%2Fdailynews+%28CNA+Daily+News%29&utm_term=daily+news

And WHO speaks for Islam???

How do you reason with someone who has a different way of reasoning? Just asking.

Beat me to it, and it’s a very pertinent question.

The same who speak for the Jews and fundamentalist Christians. Their local clergy and the individuals themselves.

There are over 1 billion Muslims. Only approx. 1% are fundamentalist type Muslims… (but that’s over 10 million people). There are plenty of good, rational Muslims out there who could be converted through the Gospel. Even if the number of good, rational Muslims was only 10% (which most should acknowledge it’s really higher), than that would over 100,000,000 people who could be converted via the Gospel.

We are called to spread the Gospel all over the globe, ignoring over 1 billion people isn’t fulfilling the mission.

I think we need to ask first what is Islam?

The last time I attempted to address a question similar to this, I got a violation. This is me, shutting up :shrug:

This was intended to be an honest question because few of us, including moi, in the West know much, if anything, about Islam.

Hard to negotiate with over 1 Billion people.

Try getting THREE people to agree on what toppings to get on one pizza.

Dialogue with Islam will be hard.

Dialogue with everyone is hard. But doesn’t mean you don’t try.

I have been president and vice president of my home owners association and always said I couldn’t get even TWO people to agree it was daylight at noon. :banghead:

When it comes to speaking about Islam, the Holy Father is in effect caught between a rock and a hard place. He has to be very mindful of Christians and other non-Muslims living in the dar al-Islam, and the serious problems they can and do face from Islamic fundamentalist reaction/over-reaction.

Depends on your definition of “dialogue.” Dialogue defined by today’s Church is exchanging beliefs without preaching the gospel. I’m Okay, You’re Okay.

Midwest Dialogue of Catholics and Muslims - The USCCB has documents describing dialogue with Muslim leaders, including a dialogue about Muslim-Catholic marriages. usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/ecumenical-and-interreligious/interreligious/interreligious-documents-and-news-releases.cfm#CP_JUMP_112281 .

Praytell, what is “today’s Church”?

I spent the last eight years of my professional life as a Middle East analyst. I have enough Arabic language credit hours that if they had all been at one school, I’d have another BA in that language, to go along with my BA in Russian. Much of the study was among Muslims, and I lived for 4 1/2 months in Damascus (under the old Assad regime) and for 3 months in Cairo (under Mubarak). All of my experiences and interactions with Muslims and their culture were at least not negative, if not genuinely positive.

But . . .

That was before 9/11/01. Things have changed, and although I probably know more about Islam than the average American, I’m not sure I’m the best person to be expressing opinions about Islam on these forums. There are some subjects about which it is hard for me to be “charitable.”

I would recommend the Wikipedia article on Islam as a start. It’s not offensive, and it has a lot of links to related subjects.

Dialogue not preaching. The conciliar church, post-Vatican II. For your convenience, I’ve pasted a portion on “ecumenism” and “dialogue” from The Declaration On Ecumenism, Unitatis Redintegratio:

The term “ecumenical movement” indicates the initiatives and activities planned and undertaken,
according to the various needs of the Church and as opportunities offer, to promote Christian
unity. These are: first, every effort to avoid expressions, judgments and actions which do not
represent the condition of our separated brethren with truth and fairness and so make mutual
relations with them more difficult; then, “dialogue” between competent experts from different
Churches and Communities. At these meetings, which are organized in a religious spirit, each
explains the teaching of his Communion in greater depth and brings out clearly its distinctive
features. In such dialogue, everyone gains a truer knowledge and more just appreciation of the
teaching and religious life of both Communions. In addition, the way is prepared for cooperation
between them in the duties for the common good of humanity which are demanded by every
Christian conscience; and, wherever this is allowed, there is prayer in common. Finally, all are led to
examine their own faithfulness to Christ’s will for the Church and accordingly to undertake with
vigor the task of renewal and reform.

catholicnewsagency.com/document.php?n=801

Thx. I would be interested in your take on this analysis.

That’s going to take a while to read. I’ll get back to you.

Thx for your efforts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.