Is doubt a sin?

I have read that doubt is a sin but seeking the truth by questioning is not. I don’t believe that, everybody doubts sometimes right?

Sure, most people doubt sometimes. I suppose that entertaining the doubts, to the point where there was danger to your faith, would be a sin. But not just normal doubts that pop up.

From the Catechism:

CCC 2088 The first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it. There are various ways of sinning against faith:

Voluntary doubt about the faith disregards or refuses to hold as true what God has revealed and the Church proposes for belief. Involuntary doubt refers to hesitation in believing, difficulty in overcoming objections connected with the faith, or also anxiety aroused by its obscurity. If deliberately cultivated doubt can lead to spiritual blindness.

Sure, everybody doubts sometimes, but everybody sins sometimes, too, right? :wink: I’m sure there’s probably a spectrum of doubt – to some degree. So it’s not as though any inkling of involuntary doubt is a grave mortal sin.

In moments of doubt, I find it better to pray for understanding rather than trying to classify where it falls on the spectrum of sin.

I believe doubt is only sinful when you really do not have a good reason for the doubt. For example to doubt a doctrine because it’s a mystery, would probably be sinful since mysteries are not contrary to reason, they’re just beyond our ability to reason.

Everyone sins sometimes, too, Timi. Yes, doubt can be a sin but isn’t always a sin. You should discuss this with your confessor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.