Is downloading music always sinful?

I know that breaking the secular law does not mean committing sin in every instance. For instance you can record a television show and watch it at a later time legally, but if you watch it a second time you have broken the law. A rolling stop is illegal as is exceeding the speed limit while going downhill. I don’t thing that breaking these laws are always sinful, are they?.

Anyway my question is about downloading music you already own. When you buy music you can make copies for backup/personal use legally. So I have some CD’s that have a song or 2 that have been scratched and I also had several CD’s stolen for which I still have the cases. I did not have all of these backed up and have replace these songs by downloading them form P2P networks or torrents. I also downloaded songs that I own on cassette and stuff that I have lost over the years. I am not 100% sure if my action was technically illegal or not, but I think it probably technically was.

Did I commit sin by doing this and am I committing sin if I do not get rid of this music?

I want to avoid sin but am worried about becoming scrupulous.

BlazingBolt,

These links should be helpful for determining if it is a sin to download music from peer to peer networks. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

**Recommended Reading: **
Is downloading music a sin?
Is it a sin?
How do I conquer scrupulosity?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.