Is downloading TV shows a sin?

Okay, so here's my situation. I live in the Philippines but most of the TV shows that I watch are from the US and they take a long time (1 year, more or less) for the new episodes to show here. And most of the time, they play the new episodes just when school starts here and I don't have time to watch them on TV (especially that I don't even know the schedule of the TV shows. :D).

Is it a sin if I download an episode, watch it, then delete it afterwards? :confused:

[quote="dogonthewall, post:1, topic:237339"]
Okay, so here's my situation. I live in the Philippines but most of the TV shows that I watch are from the US and they take a long time (1 year, more or less) for the new episodes to show here. And most of the time, they play the new episodes just when school starts here and I don't have time to watch them on TV (especially that I don't even know the schedule of the TV shows. :D).

Is it a sin if I download an episode, watch it, then delete it afterwards? :confused:

[/quote]

This post may help you...

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=550384

Deuteronomy 23: 24-25

24 Going into your neighbour's vineyard, you may eat as many grapes as you please: but must carry none out with you:

25 If you go into your friend's corn, you may break the ears, and rub them in your hand: but not reap them with a sickle.

newadvent.org/bible/deu023.htm

Matthew 12: 1-8

1 At that time Jesus went through the corn on the sabbath: and his disciples being hungry, began to pluck the ears, and to eat.
2 And the Pharisees seeing them, said to him: Behold your disciples do that which is not lawful to do on the sabbath days.
3 But he said to them: Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, and they that were with him:
4 How he entered into the house of God, and ate the loaves of proposition, which it was not lawful for him to eat, nor for them that were with him, but for the priests only?
5 Or have you not read in the law, that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple break the sabbath, and are without blame?
6 But I tell you that there is here a greater than the temple.
7 And if you knew what this means: I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: you would never have condemned the innocent.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath.

newadvent.org/bible/mat012.htm

Is the site you are downloading it from known for hosting illegally post content? If there is a copy-write on the the show, I would say yes, it would be considered stealing, which is sinful.

Is there any other way to get the content? Are there DVD’s you could buy or rent?

Have you tried looking on Hulu? www.hulu.com It has most shows that are currently on the air, with the most recent episodes going up immediately after they are aired on the West coast of the US. The website for the channel the show airs on in the US (ABC, NBC, CBS at least) usually has episodes up right after they air as well (or at least the very next day). I assume you are worried about copyright infringement, but these site are legit, and you don’t have to download the episode, since you watch it streaming online.

If you can’t find what you are looking for on there, i-tunes usually has TV episodes available for purchase for $0.99.

Thanks. That was helpful, especially the quotes. :slight_smile:

I use the EZTV website to download episodes. It’s all torrents for TV shows. I haven’t heard any official stand if it’s legal to use.

There are DVDs, but they’re pretty hard to find here. :frowning:

Sadly, those websites only allows viewing in the US. :frowning: I have yet to find a site that allows viewing in the Philippines.

I’m actually thinking of using iTunes to download episodes. But I’ll have to wait for my allowance. :stuck_out_tongue:

I second iTunes. Once I returned to the church I dropped all this downloading content and have made use of iTunes rather frequently for my daughter and netflix as well. I would not suggest downloading anything unless you are entirely sure it is the maker that has released it for free distribution. I downloaded a Veggietales song from Veggietales makers and was confident in the download.

Only if the show is Two and a Half Men. :nope:

if it is copyright, yes it’s a sin. I just wouldn’t do it. Your soul is more important than a TV show :slight_smile: why risk it?

Let’s be accurate… if it’s stealing then it’s a sin. I’m making this distinction for a reason. Not all use of copyrighted works is stealing.

I will provide one example, but there are numerous others instances that have caused an extreme gray area in the law making it much harder to draw a simple moral line concerning the issue. To discuss the other information would go far beyond the scope of this topic.

Fair Use is the simplest and easiest to understand…

copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Having worked with graphic arts, I had to know what was and was not allowed. The accidental use of something as simple as a word font could easily cause legal issues in a brochure or advertisement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.