Is eating over your calories to gain weight for better health a sin?

Hello everyone! I am 34 and a catholic male in Oxnard California. I am new to this site and have a question. I weigh 136 poundsand 5 feet 5 3/4 inches tall big boned guy. My weight appears good but Im naturally a heavy guy. I feel weak all the time and my blood pressure is low due too my low weight. My doctor told me he wants me to get to about 165 pounds. My dietician did aswell taking my history and by looking at my old self and brothers. If i eat over what it takes to maintain my current weight is it considered a sin?Does the church agree with the science of calories in calories out?If science and God cannot disagree how can Padre Pio live on three spoonfuls a day and maintain 170 pounds.I just dont want to sin if calories are a snare and theory without truth. Thank you.

Hi,
You are not Padre Pio! Stop trying to be your own doctor and do what your real doctor is telling you to do. You sound seriously underweight. The science of calories has to be understood in the light of the individual’s particular needs. If you feel weak as you presently do, then something is wrong. Common sense would tell you this.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.