Is EMing a sin when unnecessary

One of my friends was asking about eucharistic ministers and I was reading the Vatican 2 documents on it and it says EMing is allowed when necessary. However I see EMing all the time even when unnecessary. Would it be considered a sin then if there’s EMing outside the requirements for it that being when necesssary? If so would it be a sin on the priest who allowed it or the actual EM?

It’s great that you’re reading and studying about the Church.
It also points out how valuable it is that we have priests, bishops, and the Magisterium to sort these things out.
If your bishop permits it, you can be sure that it’s not a sin. Nor a liturgical abuse. Nor an error.

7 Likes

Ask Father. If it is either good or bad, it is on the Ordinary Minister.

2 Likes

Not a sin to be an emhc.

Whether it’s necessary is up to the priest to decide, not you & me.

1 Like

As everyone else has mentioned, no, it’s not a sin. I doubt it’s even sinful for the celebrant to use unnecessary extraordinary ministers (unless he’s doing it with some sort of malicious intent). As you’ve touched on, extraordinary ministers probably are probably over-utilized in this day and age. I’m skeptical that they save time or effort except in extraordinarily large Masses. But I’m not a cleric, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

EMing as a sin could be us. At our church we take communion to the hospital. Someone goes every week , and probably every day. (We have Tuesday ministries, Wednesday, etc.)

I take Communion to the hospital. I sometimes wonder if it is really necessary to go. People don’t have to receive every day. They can call a priest if necessary. I sometimes feel as if I shouldn’t be doing this. That feeling comes about when I get up in the morning and would rather stay home and not have to go anywhere.

What would Jesus say?

2 Likes

I’m very interested to hear you say that, @woolycaterpillar. I think bringing the Eucharist to the sick is a beautiful and worthwhile thing to do. Is there a particular reason why you have hesitations? Because you aren’t ordained?

1 Like

My impression is that it can amount to a liturgical abuse. If it is a sin, it’s on the Priest. It’s up to him to determine if it’s a legit necessity.

psst…I think @woolycaterpillar’s post might be sarcastic . . .

1 Like

You never know! :wink:

Pretty sure. The part about getting up in the morning pretty much gives it away

Being an extraordinary minister of Holy Communion is not a sin.

However, it is extremely sinful to pretend to make a noun like “Extraordinary Minister” into a verb by abbreviating it to EM and simply adding an ‘ing’ to it. Terrible sin. Just terrible.

For your penance write 20 times, “Putting ‘ing’ on a noun does not make it into a verb; and ‘adulting’ is an abomination.”

2 Likes

I’m reminded of Fr Regis Scanlon writing about how necessary EMs are when it comes to prison ministry. He said it it weren’t for EMs not everyone may receive the Eucharist.

1 Like

It is good thing to recheck of requirement

This is very subjective. You might feel that there are too many. Someone else might feel that there are not enough. If the priest celebrant feels that there needs to be a certain number then I believe follow his direction.

I agree with the first part of your statement; however there is such a thing as a bad bishop and bishops who permit things that shouldn’t be allowed. Not saying this is one, just pointing it out.

This topic was automatically closed after 21 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.