Is Evangelicalism seperate from Protestantism?

If I were to make a “log shaped chart” of how Christianity has branched off it be like labeled with Christianity as the trunk,then a branch that breaks off to Catholicism followed by another one that splits off to Orthodox Christianity (their would be smaller braches from their like Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox),further down from the Catholic branch would be a branch that says Protestantism (with smaller branches that are Lutheranism,Anglicanism and Calvinism).However I’m confused once I get to Pentcostalism.Their ussually called Evangelicals or something to that effect are’nt they?.Then their’s denominations like Jehovah’s witnesses and Mormons.Their not Protestants are they?.What my main question is if Evangelicism is a branch that split off from Protestantism?.Thank you very much so for your time.

The term ‘Evangelical’ usually refers to doctrine and not to denomination. Most protestant denominations can be described by three basic categories: mainline, evangelical, fundamentalist. The confusing part about the categories is that many broad labels used for denominations like ‘Baptist’ or ‘Lutheran’ will span into all three categories.

To answer your main question, I wouldn’t say Evangelical is a branch of Protestantism. Rather, it’s a description of a portion of the denominations within Protestantism.

This link might help you understand the relation between the main protestant denomination groups: protestant.christianityinview.com/denominations.html

Also, I think many, if not the majority, of protestants would consider the LDS and JWs to be heretics if not wholly separate religions from Christianity based on their definitions of who God is.

It is a little misleading to say that Catholicism would be a branch off of Christianity, though I understand where you may be going with that. Catholicism would be the trunk with all other groups breaking off of it. Or other groups not being a part of it at all. And the Jewish faith would be the roots.

I think the Orthodox would disagree with you as would I.

Well said. Catholicism is not a branch.

If you are saying things about Catholic vs. Orthodox, then it may be represented by a split into two trunk-like branches. I am more inclined to say Catholicism is the trunk though.

I know a couple of people who are very specific in describing themselves as evangelical Christians. One of them was offended when I used the word “fundamentalist”.

Here is a link to the definition of “evangelical” from the website of the National Association of Evangelicals:

nae.net/church-and-faith-partners/what-is-an-evangelical

“Evangelical” is actually a “style” of Christianity. I would describe my Catholic parish as “evangelical” because of the “style” of Catholicism here. Here’s why.

Here is a quote from that link above:

*Historian David Bebbington also provides a helpful summary of evangelical distinctives, identifying four primary characteristics of evangelicalism:

Conversionism: the belief that lives need to be transformed through a “born-again” experience and a life long process of following Jesus.

Activism: the expression and demonstration of the gospel in missionary and social reform efforts

Biblicism: a high regard for and obedience to the Bible as the ultimate authority

Crucicentrism: a stress on the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross as making possible the redemption of humanity *

In my Catholic parish, three out of four of these characteristics are present. We emphasize the need for conversion and teach that it is a life-long process, not a one-time event.

My parish is extremely active in the community in various missionary and social reform efforts.

My parish holds up Jesus Christ Crucified in every Mass and every meeting–HE is the Source and Summit of our lives. It’s interesting to me that this is a characteristic of evangelicals, because in every evangelical church that I was part of before converting to Catholicism, I never saw a crucifix. It was all about the resurrection of Jesus. But things are changing in the evangelical world, I guess!

The only characteristic that my parish does NOT have is the belief that the Bible is the sole Authority. However, my parish is very obedient and submissive to the “Three-Legged Stool” of Authority–Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and the Magisterium.

In other words, our parish submits to authority outside of our own pastors and people, which is something that many evangelical churches don’t do, in spite of their claims that the Bible is their Authority. The BIBLE does NOT tell its people to give money to a certain cause, or show up at a certain time for a certain meeting, or avoid certain activities. PEOPLE tell people these things.

Evangelicals consider themselves Protestants.

Yes Evangelicism is within Protestantism. To add to others comments about the tree analogy. I see Catholicism as the trunk, the mainlines as the larger branches from the trunk, then the Evangelicals as smaller but more numerous branches from the Mainlines.
Can look at this a couple ways, one is chronologically the mainlines have been around longer than evangelicals and therefore branch directly from the trunk, second is doctrinally
Mainlines tend to adhere to creeds so their is more substance and resistance to change (I know this is debatable :)) so thats another reason why I put them them within the larger but fewer branches of the tree of Christianity. Long story short, Evangelicals are part of Protestantism

“Evangelical” has different meanings in the US compared to Europe. In Europe, “evangelical” means Lutheran/Reformed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.