Is Evolution/Darwinism taught in the schools in your countries?

In my country Evolution is taught as the fact. And how about your countries? Do you think Evolution should be taught in the school?

I think evolution should be taught in schools.

I learnt about it in my science lessons. I learnt about the debate between evolution and creationism in my religious education lessons. Later on I also learnt about the evolutionary approach in psychology.

2 Likes

DO you think that it should be taught as a fact? I personally don’t.

2 Likes

From what I remember it was taught as “this is what scientists think happened, and this is why they think it”.

Personally, I think it should be taught as above. Sort of “as far as we know, this is right”.

3 Likes

I wonder if Evolution is taught widely in European countries and America.

No, I do not believe it should be taught as fact. I do not know what is taught in public schools. I went to a Catholic school in the USA, which did not teach it as fact and sent my family to a Catholic school in the USA and it was not taught as fact. They also taught creationism side by side evolution.

2 Likes

Evolution is taught widely in USA for many, many decades now. The only places that teach alternative theories to Evolution would be some non-Catholic “Christian” schools that are into creationism.

I had 12 years of Catholic school in USA and we never learned any creationism. I didn’t even know people still taught that stuff till I was about 22 and out of school.

Evolution is well supported from a research and science viewpoint. It is also not contrary to God’s creation of the world. There’s no reason not to teach it and the vast majority of Catholics I know are fine with it.

5 Likes

It is doubtful that there is any first world country in which evolution isn’t taught as fact.

Personally, I think it should be taught as fact until someone comes up with a better theory that explains more natural phenomena than evolution. But, as it is now, evolution is the glue that holds the life sciences together and makes sense of them.

6 Likes

It’s taught in public schools and most private schools in the US. Most of the field of biology doesn’t make sense without drawing from evolutionary theory.

We have a large crowd of YEC people in this country, but it’s not organized on a high level. It’s generally (no disrespect intended) working class people that were taught that way from their parents and never examined their views on a deep level.

1 Like

Not really sure what that means. ?? I take it you are saying that it is uneducated people who do not believe evolution is fact???

Which is typically what most people who believe evolution is a fact think about those who don’t.

1 Like

Is it a compulsory subject in USA?

Probably in the public schools

1 Like

Evolution is briefly touched on in the 10th grade biology class at the high school I went to. I think evolution should definitely be taught in schools, because that’s what the science seems to support (if you disagree with me, hold your tongue, this is not the place to get into an argument about that). But I also believe there should be a disclaimer, like: “This is what the science seems to support, but we recognize that as science progresses, there is a possibility that new scientific discoveries could be made which could change our theory of evolution.” Might also add something about how evolution does not necessarily contradict religion, just to clarify for religious students that teaching evolution is not an attack on any faith.

3 Likes

It is lucky that the government doesn’t force every school to teach evolution.

1 Like

I believe that science should be taught in schools. Evolutionary Biology is an established science.

2 Likes

Science is taught in all public and virtually every private school. I would not send my child to a school that left them ignorant of science.

1 Like

In public high schools, it’s normally taught as part of a science class which may well be compulsory. As someone else said, evolutionary theory is fundamental to a lot of the life sciences, so it’s something students need to know if they’re going to pursue any college majors that require life science knowledge, which would include many, many different majors - virtually anything relating to medicine or health care for example, or anthropology, or biochemical engineering, etc.

2 Likes

In biology class at school we were being taught evolution, natural selection, etc. I asked the teacher to tell the class that it was all just a theory :laughing:

1 Like

“Theory” means something different in science than it does everywhere else. In science, a theory is something that is supported by a lot of scientific evidence - practically a proven fact. It’s not just an explanation put together from a few observations, nor is it equal to all other theories.

2 Likes

By the scientific method a theory has not been proven so it remains a theory. A fact in science is called a law.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.