Is exposition of the Blessed Sacrament permitted on Good Friday?

I was wondering if it is permissible to have nocturnal adoration from the night of Holy Thursday into the morning of Good Friday. (As our parish is planning it, it is supposed to recall how the apostles fell asleep as Jesus prayed at Gethsemane and symbolize our commitment to not fall asleep, but keeping watch with him in his hour of trial.)

In any event, I was confused by these plans because I know that the Blessed Sacrament is supposed to be removed from the tabernacle on Good Friday…

Here is the rubric regarding eucharistic adoration on Holy Thursday night/Good Friday morning from Paschale Solemnitatis:

The Blessed Sacrament should be reserved in a closed tabernacle or pyx. Under no circumstances may it be exposed in a monstrance… (PS 55).

After the Mass of the Lord’s Supper [on Holy Thursday], the faithful should be encouraged to spend a suitable period of time during the night in the church in adoration before the Blessed Sacrament that has been solemnly reserved. Where appropriate, this prolonged eucharistic adoration may be accompanied by the reading of some part of the Gospel of Saint John (ch. 13-17).

From midnight onward, however, the adoration should be made without external solemnity, for the day of the Lord’s Passion has begun (PS 56).

So, while prolonged eucharistic adoration of the reserved (not exposed) Blessed Sacrament into the early morning hours of Good Friday is permitted, after midnight it should be silent adoration. When the adoration should end is not clearly defined by the document, but the wording of the rubric seems to indicate that the adoration should take place during nighttime hours (e.g., “the faithful should be encouraged to spend a suitable period of time during the night in the church in adoration”; emphasis added).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.