Is Family Guy anti-Christian

It can be funny but it's so offensive and gross that it's hard for me to watch. Within 5 mins I turn it off bc of some crude joke. Used to watch it a lot. Now it has this trend of saying things that aren't funny and have no discernible meaning except maybe to the writer--but the character says these lines as if they are a punchline. Like, how is a random guy mumbling "is this 1981?" even funny? It's just a random pop culture reference. South park did a show making fun of family guy. They had manatee picking random pop culture references out of a tank, to write the scripts.
It's insulting to me the family guy writers' attitude is that we are so dumb we will laugh just because something is said in the tone of voice of a joke.

A recent episode I turned off made jokes about snuff films and really evil stuff related to that I won't post. The argument "but they are just satirizing people that watch these films" doesn't work because everyone decent already knows those films are evil. No need to satirize it. People who do view such films are beyond being changed by a supposed satire. So all this shock humor does is desensitize us to violence and evil. Why would a show need to do that? Also, shock humor replaces actual humor, which takes talent. Shock like that without substance, taken that far, seems like bad writers.

Family Guy is an equal-opportunity offender, so I’m not too upset really, although I do avert from any jokes directed at God, Jesus, our Lady.

And yes, it does take jabs at Muslims and Arabs, although I don’t think they’ve dared make a Mohammed joke yet. Jews and atheists are fair game as are conservatives and liberals.

[quote="austenbosten, post:4, topic:266601"]

They thought making fun of 9/11 would be funny?

[/quote]

First, let me say I don't like "Family Guy" and never thought I would be defending it.

Seth MacFarlane has a very personal story about 9/11 and it has affected him deeply. I did actually watch this episode, knowing this fact about him for years. The episode struck me as a way the guy is trying to make some sense about the tragedy. Seth is actually a thoughtful, smart, caring guy. I can't stand his show, but I know he's a great guy. The last thing in the world he would want is for people to think he is in any way minimizing that tragedy.

[quote="exoflare, post:2, topic:266601"]
Maybe, but I know for sure its creator is.

[/quote]

Yeah, Seth MacFarlane is a huge atheist.

South Park is less offensive than Family Guy, and that says alot about how one show has matured slightly and the other has really degenerated into something even worse than what it was when it started(a slightly cruder Simpsons clone).

Family Guy always has and always will be "the mentally poor man's Simpsons".....

[quote="DoGodsBidding, post:8, topic:266601"]
There are a couple of reasons why I don't watch Family Guy.

1. It is offensive to my beliefs and values.
  2. It's not funny.

I don't waste one single moment watching this show.

DGB

[/quote]

I agree.

Good reasons.

Blessings!

:)

I do believe its anti Christian myself
There are a few moments that it can be funny but its because of the off the wall, "what the heck did I just see?" scenes which are truly classic and not enough.

The same can be said of Robot Chicken, though I don't know if one could call that show anti Christian. Family Guy has more slams against the faith than Robot Chicken does

[quote="colliric, post:14, topic:266601"]
South Park is less offensive than Family Guy, and that says alot about how one show has matured slightly and the other has really degenerated into something even worse than what it was when it started(a slightly cruder Simpsons clone).

Family Guy always has and always will be "the mentally poor man's Simpsons".....

[/quote]

Both the Simpsons and King of the Hill trump Family Guy all over the place as far as I am concerned.

I like American Dad better than Family Guy too...also Futurama is better ...at least the eps before it was canceled and then remade on comedy central.

[quote="Oren, post:18, topic:266601"]
I like American Dad better than Family Guy too...also Futurama is better ...at least the eps before it was canceled and then remade on comedy central.

[/quote]

I think in a sense American Dad has a bit to be worse than Family Guy with the profanity, Roger, and even though the dad has 'values' he is seen as extreme and thus just another person to show religion especially christianity is wrong. Although they can be a bit funnier than American Dad. And I'd take the Fish over Brian any day.

Well, at least on American Dad they're Episcopalian and not Catholic like on Family Guy. Roger is hilarious...and unlike Brian or even Stewie, he's so extreme that he really is cartoonish and not treated seriously in any way. Roger doesn't make any political points like Brian does all the time and not even any gender/gay points like Stewie does because Roger doesn't even have a real gender. The only thing about Roger is, he's always doing drugs and getting drunk...but he's an alien, so it could be good for his health for all we know like how him being really mean is good for his health. That's the magic of Roger.

Normally whenever I see threads like this pop up I kind of roll my eyes and move on. In this case though, I would absolutely say that Family Guy is anti-religion as a whole. For whatever reason the creator (Seth McFarlan) has deemed the time right to turn the show into his political soap box. Brian is nothing more than a stand in Seth and they frequently use the show to rant about the topical issue of the day. They have had episodes that directly addressed religion (Christianity in general) and without fail Christians are portrayed as being dumb bigots. I don't recall ever seeing anything close to a positive portrayal of religion.

Yes, Family Guy does make fun of a great deal of social and religious groups, but they do so in a way that definitely has an agenda. Contrast that that with Simpsons (who has been highly critical of organized religion but has also managed to portray religion in a positive light) or even South Park (who really are equal opportunity offenders). I can honestly say Family Guy is one of the few shows that I have made a choice to stop watching on the sole basis of its offensive nature towards religion in general.

Whew... there was a Family Guy-esque rant right there. I guess that's a little bit of irony right there.

[quote="ZhaneAugustine, post:17, topic:266601"]
Both the Simpsons and King of the Hill trump Family Guy all over the place as far as I am concerned.

[/quote]

King of the Hill is a classic... I love that show.

And to think it was from the creator of "Beavis and Butthead" and used a simular art style.

I found "Beavis and Butthead" quite funny, but I have to admit it was pretty immature.

"King of the Hill" on the other hand is just brilliant.

Don't get me started on my love for "King of the Hill!" :)

It is anti-Christian, and anti-Muslim, and anti-Jewish, anti-American, anti-Mormon, anti-Protestant, anti-everything. That's the point of it. At times it is smart and subtle, at times dumb and hit-you-over-the-head blatant.

Don't let anyone tell you not to watch something, that's what our well-formed consciences are for. We can decide what is moral and more importantly, what leads us to a moral life.

It's far more Anti-Christian then any other faith. This show seems to go out of its way to disrespect Christians in general.

However, there was a funny scene that was brought to my attention that involves Quagmire explaining exactly why he doesn't like Brian.

Other shows like King of the Hill and The Simpsons (the early seasons) are far better. The Simpsons are portrayed as a religious family...not Catholic...but they do go to Church every Sunday. Marge is even quoted to say "Don't make me choose between my man and my God because you just won't win" to Homer.

Yes. It is no excuse that it offends everything else. It's offensive. Period. The same for South Park.

I watched a few episodes and my first thought was: This is not entertainment and it should not be watched by anybody.

Peace,
Ed

[quote="Magister102, post:24, topic:266601"]
It is anti-Christian, and anti-Muslim, and anti-Jewish, anti-American, anti-Mormon, anti-Protestant, anti-everything. That's the point of it. At times it is smart and subtle, at times dumb and hit-you-over-the-head blatant.

Don't let anyone tell you not to watch something, that's what our well-formed consciences are for. We can decide what is moral and more importantly, what leads us to a moral life.

[/quote]

No, it goes quite a bit out of its way to single out Christianity, even if it takes a much smaller token jab at other faiths every now and then.

Nobody's saying you can't watch it.. it's just that you'd be wasting your time as it's not funny anyway.

"Family Guy" is just plain disgusting. I used to watch it before I went back to the Catholic Church and it's just..vile. It basically mocks everything. Don't waste your time with it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.