Is fear of the Lord not given to everyone?

“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
a good understanding have all those who practice it.” Psalm 111:10

As this scripture would indicate, the fear of the Lord is a prerequiste for obtaining wisdom. My question then is, is fear of the Lord given freely to everyone? Or is this something that one must choose, desire, arrive at?

Those baptized in Christ can expect to be given such gifts, but they have to be exercised/practiced to be of any good to us:

Rom.12:3: “For by the grace given to me I bid every one among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith which God has assigned him.”

Fear or Awe of God is a gift of the Holy Spirit. You receive it when you are baptised and in full when you are confirmed. The effects of the Gift will not bear fruit unless you co operate with the movement of the Holy Spirit. If you neglect your spiritual practises, of prayer, mass, scaramentals I do not suppose the gifts of the Spirit will bear fruit. Nor if your life is a sinful one far away from God.

I would rather love God and fear Hell.

Fear of the Lord… I like to think of it as being afraid of hurting the Lord.
I don’t want to dissapoint Him, I want God to be proud of me.

"These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me."
Fat lotta good spiritual practice will do if you’re forced to do it (i.e. kids being forced into going to church and family rosary) This is why parents should teach a love of Jesus AND of His Church.
We cultivate our gifts at our own pace in direct proportion to our cooperate with the Divine Life.

When I first felt the fear of the Lord… Well I knew right then and there what baptism and confirmation really did, let me tell you that. :slight_smile:

Ever notice how baptized individuals (and further, confirmed individuals) tend to be pursued by God much harder, and even MORE so if that person has other people praying for them, and even MORE so if Mary is asked to intervene. These are things I’ve noticed in my own experience (this is just a personal speculation)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.