Is fishing wrong?

I used to love going fishing when I was younger, but stopped when I started to think that what I was doing was cruel and morally wrong, causing fish needless pain.

However, these last few years I have really missed fishing, the chance to get away from it all, sitting in beautiful countryside. To be honest, it’s not the cathing the fish I miss, it’s the act of fishing I miss. There’s something quite spiritual about it.

So, is fishing cruel? Is it morally wrong? I’m happy that fishing for food certainly isn’t, but what about catch and release?

Your views would be appreciated!

0 Likes

[quote="mccloud, post:1, topic:201791"]
I used to love going fishing when I was younger, but stopped when I started to think that what I was doing was cruel and morally wrong, causing fish needless pain.

However, these last few years I have really missed fishing, the chance to get away from it all, sitting in beautiful countryside. To be honest, it's not the cathing the fish I miss, it's the act of fishing I miss. There's something quite spiritual about it.

So, is fishing cruel? Is it morally wrong? I'm happy that fishing for food certainly isn't, but what about catch and release?

[/quote]

GO FISHING! If you catch and realease then you ought to use a barbless hook so it doesn't injure the fish. It just gives him a good workout.
Peter was a fisher man.

On 5-31-10 I caught a bluecat 29" inches long and weighed 13 lbs. It took me 30 minutes to get her out of the water. She was really good fried.

Every time I catch a good fish I say a rosary in thanksgiving for the fish and for the souls in purgatory.

0 Likes

I'm sure the hook would hurt and the experience of catch and release is a scary experience for the fish.
I can't bear to see anything on TV about fishing. I do happen to care too much about creatures also. Whatever awareness they do have, I can't bear them to be scared or hurt.

As for morally wrong...Peter and Andrew were fisherman, and Jesus didn't speak out against fishing, so I guess I'd have to say it isn't morally wrong, just that I could never bear to do it as to see fish suffocating in the air, and knowing a hook pulling against them would hurt...

So you're probably dealing not so much with a moral issue but a personal sensitivity issue.

Instinctively I would have said a moral issue, but I'm not prepared to give St Peter and St Andrew scowls, or to argue with them about their former livelihood.

0 Likes

[quote="Trishie, post:3, topic:201791"]
I'm sure the hook would hurt and the experience of catch and release is a scary experience for the fish.
I can't bear to see anything on TV about fishing. I do happen to care too much about creatures also. Whatever awareness they do have, I can't bear them to be scared or hurt.

As for morally wrong...Peter and Andrew were fisherman, and Jesus didn't speak out against fishing, so I guess I'd have to say it isn't morally wrong, just that I could never bear to do it as to see fish suffocating in the air, and knowing a hook pulling against them would hurt...

So you're probably dealing not so much with a moral issue but a personal sensitivity issue.

Instinctively I would have said a moral issue, but I'm not prepared to give St Peter and St Andrew scowls, or to argue with them about their former livelihood.

[/quote]

Fish aren't people. They don't feel pain the way we do. If you use a barbless circle hook it doesn't hurt them at all. It just catches them in the side of the mouth. Fish don't feel fear they just react to situations it's a survival instinct.

God gave us fish and for that I'm thankful. Fish are for eating to sustain life and at least half the people on this planet live on fish.

0 Likes

GOD put the animals under man's dominion for work, food, clothing, etc. Fishing is not cruel and is not out of the order which GOD has established. The sad part is that while GOD has provided this bounty to us, as regards fish, we can no longer trust that they are clean to eat given the pollution that man has injected into the water systems. However, as regards fishing, one can truly see GOD's hand of creation while fishing in the scenery and beauty and wild life of the lakes and streams.
Go fishing and give thanks to GOD for HIS creation.

0 Likes

I don't think that you are being cruel. You are not going out and deliberately injuring fish for no reason. I believe hunting is one of the best ways to see how God has set up this nation and how human is ruler of the beasts that he does talk about in Genesis. Now on the other hand if you are going out and killing animals for the sake of killing and being wasteful you are abusing that power God gave us. So go out and fish, be thankful for the fish God brings you and enjoy the scenery around you.

0 Likes

However, these last few years I have really missed fishing, the chance to get away from it all, sitting in beautiful countryside. To be honest, it's not the cathing the fish I miss, it's the act of fishing I miss. There's something quite spiritual about it.

So, is fishing cruel? Is it morally wrong? I'm happy that fishing for food certainly isn't, but what about catch and release?

[/quote]

The Lord chose some fisherman to be His Apostles; He also ate fish. GO FISH!!!

0 Likes

[/quote]

There is no conclusive scientific evidence to show that fish even feel pain at all!

0 Likes

I think fishing would be come sinful if it is done with greed till the oceans are bereft of some species like the herring in the North Sea in the sixties or the cod in the Atlantic in Canada,s east coast.the result was loss of livelihoods and an imbalance in the natural order of the sea.

0 Likes

I've heard that the act of handling the fish compromises its slime coating and makes it more susceptible to infection. True? Not true?

0 Likes

Probably not until the bishops declare it a mortal sin. And even then as with Holy Days it might depend on your bishop. But even if your bishop were to declare it sin, you could probably cross over to another diocese to visit and fish. So I probably wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Peace.

0 Likes

[quote="VociMike, post:10, topic:201791"]
I've heard that the act of handling the fish compromises its slime coating and makes it more susceptible to infection. True? Not true?

[/quote]

This is true with some fish so handle them gently if you are going to release them. It's not true with most fish.

0 Likes

[/quote]

Yes. Very much so.

Signed Sammy the Bass

Actually Sammy is not correct. (he is biased Bass)

If done reasonably and lawfully etc nothing wrong...

(though those out there that just catch em and leave em to die on the beach..Sammy would like a word with you....)

0 Likes

[/quote]

Another example of why Protestants tell Catholics they dont know the bible.
Jesus together with his apostles fished, its really a central theme.

0 Likes

=mccloud;6741121]I used to love going fishing when I was younger, but stopped when I started to think that what I was doing was cruel and morally wrong, causing fish needless pain.

As I sit here in my BASS PRO-SHOP shirt i assure I'm not at prejudiced in my responce.

OK so maybe just a bit:D

But here is what God has to say about it! Gen 1: 26 -28 "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth." And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so."

So Catch and release or cook them up and your good to go.

Peter, Andrew. James nd John were all fishermen:thumbsup:

0 Likes

I read somewhere, or maybe it was Discovery chanel that goldfish have a three second memory span, and other fish are generally the same. Even if they do have some animalistic verson of memory or awareness, they're no where near as "sentient" as sheep or cattle, and those animals aren't that bright either. Sheep and other livestock suffer in their deaths for our meat products more than a fish on the end of a hook does.

There are butchers in my family. I'm a farm girl myself. I could tell you horror stories about the apparent awareness of pigs and chickens, but let me assure you, the reactions I've seen from fish don't even come close to teh reactions from larger mammals.

Jesus fished. Our first Pope fished. Don't worry about it. If you still do, then perhaps just use a string with a sinker and no hook. You get the same sensation of "fishing" without the harm you think yo're causing to fish. Or you could go feed teh ducks, that's always fun. Unless the swans get involved, those things, as pretty as they are, can be nasty!

0 Likes

[/quote]

I hope you won't take offense, but that is just plain silly!

0 Likes

[quote="Ignatius, post:17, topic:201791"]
I hope you won't take offense, but that is just plain silly!

[/quote]

It's not the first I've seen on CAF but frankly that's what happens when such fear is engraved into one's mind and people judge as to this will send you to face hell and this and this and this. Pretty soon people can start thinking all sorts of things and the fear evolves.

0 Likes

[quote="vera_dicere, post:16, topic:201791"]
I read somewhere, or maybe it was Discovery chanel that goldfish have a three second memory span, and other fish are generally the same.

[/quote]

I was surprised to have a question arise from an experience regarding possible goldfish sensitivity.
I came out one morning when my boys were young and I found one of their two goldfish flopping weakly on the floor. I picked it up and replaced it in the tank. It floated upside down. The other goldfish came immediately up under its limp body and carried it on its back for some time as it swum around in circles with the limp fish secure on its back, and then only stopped when the other began to right itself and swim on its own...who know?

0 Likes

[quote="Trishie, post:19, topic:201791"]
I was surprised to have a question arise from an experience regarding possible goldfish sensitivity.
I came out one morning when my boys were young and I found one of their two goldfish flopping weakly on the floor. I picked it up and replaced it in the tank. It floated upside down. The other goldfish came immediately up under its limp body and carried it on its back for some time as it swum around in circles with the limp fish secure on its back, and then only stopped when the other began to right itself and swim on its own...who know?

[/quote]

I bet you love kittens, puppies, and baby rabbits. You're too cute.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.