Is following God's command from duty rather than love a bad thing (a sin) ?

What is the Catholic church view respect to some that follow God’s commandments and Catholic teaching but merely from the known of his duty a Christian Catholic (like a military discipline for the following of orders).

For example someone that bend the knee, understand and follow God’s will, but find no joy on it (even if he hate it with his body) ?.

Is that person committing a sin ? What that person must do to transform his sense of duty and responsibility into love ?

Act of Contrition:

I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of Hell; but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all-good and deserving of all my love.

Baltimore Catechism:

Q. 765. What is perfect contrition?
A. Perfect contrition is that which fills us with sorrow and hatred for sin, because it offends God, who is infinitely good in Himself and worthy of all love.

Q. 767. What is imperfect contrition?
A. Imperfect contrition is that by which we hate what offends God because by it we lose heaven and deserve hell; or because sin is so hateful in itself.

Duty bound can be considered similar to imperfect contrition, it is a sense of sin being the breaking of a rule.

Obeying from love can be considered similar to perfect contrition, it is a sense of sin being the breaking/hurting of a relationship.

Feeling “duty bound” is not bad, but its not great. People who refuse to cheat on their spouse because they “made a promise” is not a bad thing, but it would be better if they didn’t cheat because their love for their spouse is so strong that cheating is completely unthinkable.

The way we move from duty to love is through being open to God’s grace and seeing the love that He has for us. What each person needs to do depends on their personality and life experience, but to move beyond duty to love requires an openness to truly experiencing God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.