Is forgiving yourself part of Reconciliation?

I am almost there! I am excited about all the rites I’m going to be able to experience in the next few weeks (confirmation at Pentecost!!). But right now, I’m struggling with reconciliation.

Do I need to forgive myself before I ask Him to?

No.
Make a good confession and accept His mercy.

Once you are reconciled, try not to dwell on the past.

Don’t worry!

No. Confession and Reconciliation are about our relationship with God and the Church, not about our own self-esteem. “Forgiving yourself” is certainly a good thing to be able to do for the sake of your own mental well-being once you have received the Sacrament, but it is not an element of the Sacrament itself.

It depends what you mean to forgive yourself.

You shall not accept that you are sinner, and you will sin in the future too. You shall do everything to avoid sin. Also you shall be dissatisfied with yourself for your sins, and hate your sins.

In other hand you should have hope, not in yourself but in God, that with his help you can get salvation.

I don’t think it is a necessary part of Confession but I do think that forgiving yourself is a good idea.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.