Is "Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma" out of print?

Just two months ago, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott was widely available for under $50. Now I can’t find a new copy anywhere for under $300! I prefer a hardcover edition and those are currently selling new for $500. Does anybody know if the book will be available soon or is it out of print?

Copyrights can be obscenely abused, although I suppose that that is in the eye of the beholder. The good news is that you can likely find this book at a library near you.

Check on Abebooks. I’m viewing one just now for $40.

If you are unable to obtain a copy of Ott’s manual, you might find use in buying the latest Denzinger (Enchiridion Symbolorum). There is a systematic index in the back which serves something of a similar purpose to Ott’s manual. However, you do not get Ott’s personal commentary, obviously, nor are you explicitly told the degree of (in)fallibility a doctrine (or dogma) has. At any rate, those with interests and pursuits requiring Ott’s manual should really have the Denzinger as well for magisterial texts.

I would be surprised if TAN does not reprint Ott’s manual at some point. When that point will be, however, is quite uncertain.

According to TAN Books, it is “temporarily unavailable.” You can follow the link to place a backorder for the item directly from the publisher.

Incidentally, the price gouging that occurs with out of print books is absolutely ridiculous. Does anyone ACTUALLY pay something like 650 dollars for a book such as this? One that was published by a small publisher, has no spectacular provenance or collector’s value, and which appeals only to a tiny portion of readers? Wouldn’t it make more sense to be content with selling a copy for 50 bucks than potentially undermining your reputation as a reasonable bookseller?

I’ve never understood that. :slight_smile:

Last summer, Amazon was selling it in hard copy for under $40. Keep watching the prices, it will probably come down again.

Thank you all very much for your responses.

Does anyone have any new information on this title? I see that it is still unavailable from TAN, so I’m hoping someone else has heard some news. Sounds like it’s more than just a backorder issue…

I am currently reading a copy that I got through interloan from my library. Have a look at the book’s page on WorldCat and see if you can get a copy from a library near you.

A poster on another forum did provide me with a link to the entire book in PDF format. However, I don’t know if it would be licit to post such a link due to copyright issues.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.