Is Gambling a sin?

I have always been taught that gambling was a sin but i have heard by many Catholics and my Protestant friends that its not a sin. I am a little confused, is it a sin or is it not a sin thx for your time :slight_smile:

From the Catechism:

2413 Games of chance (card games, etc.) or wagers are not in themselves contrary to justice. They become morally unacceptable when they deprive someone of what is necessary to provide for his needs and those of others. The passion for gambling risks becoming an enslavement. Unfair wagers and cheating at games constitute grave matter, unless the damage inflicted is so slight that the one who suffers it cannot reasonably consider it significant.

Catholicism does not see gambling as inherently sinful, what can make it sinful is its circumstances. If you are gambling your family’s rent/mortgage money or the money for your child’s education then you are sinfully wasting/risking money that should be used elsewhere. Gambling, essentially, should be a form of entertainment and not an investment strategy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.