Is Germany's Navy Dead?

It’s stories like this that put Trump’s insistence on NATO countries upping their spending in perspective. If they were reporting stories like this about the US Navy, it would be considered a priori evidence of Trump/Russia collusion.

Us cannot brag a whole lot here we have two destroyers that couldn’t steer clear of a couple slow moving tankers. Rumor has it in one case the female officers on deck were in a bit of a snit with each other and not effectively talking . OH well welcome the diversity.

The US military has time out cards. Without our tech we’d be in trouble.

I will posit that before long the Chi-Coms will be sailing rings around the US. They have an economy that will support a much larger fleet and a willingness to float one. The are graduating a lot of stem types and unlike American university students it is competitive entrances into their universities and they are not hung up on quotas affirmative action or diversity. Which means when their students graduate they will be world class engineers, and scientist not diversity trophies. .

Despite all the hullabaloo about China stealing technologies, and everyone does, they are quite inventive and innovation is what is going to make them deadly. They want and probably will succeed the US as the next world super power. The US is going to be forced recalibrate their influence in the pacific because of this.

It is not the German navies 6 U-Boats the US and its allies need to be concerned about. It is going to be what contribution Japan is willing to make. The Pacific is going to be the tipping point. How’s that for prognostication.

I don’t know about that.

I don’t know that this is true. China does have a GDP roughly the size of the US, but they have 3 times the people and a per capita GDP of less than 1/5 the US per capital GDP. They still have a long way to go before they can support a Navy comparable to the US.

But they’re still an authoritarian regime in which party discipline is valued above individual thought. An Hyman Rickover or Jackie Fisher type, the kind you need to make real technical advancement, wouldn’t do well in today’s China.

Perhaps and may be not, I don’t know I just prognosticating based on trends in the reported world news. I guess I am only saying the US Navy love boats won’t be getting in harms way they more likely to get in a tankers way.

It has always been well known that there are many incompetent officers.

But they’re still an authoritarian regime in which party discipline is valued above individual thought. An Hyman Rickover or Jackie Fisher type, the kind you need to make real technical advancement, wouldn’t do well in today’s China.

All true but so was Germany in WWII. They came up with some neat stuff. Too little too late, their infrastructure and industry was blown to he** and could not compete in numerical production to attain the kill ratio necessary for victory. Lucky us.

But you’re missing a crucial difference. The US has numerous obligations worldwide. Therefore the US Navy I’m must do “force projection” all over the world. China is very well situated controlling the S China seas and nearby waters.

Land based assets plus cheaper boats* can deny our carriers from at least 100 miles off shore.

*cheaper than billion dollar carriers and hundred million dollar destroyers.

The disadvantage the Chinese have is their culture doesn’t promote quality. They can produce a lot of things, but the quality isn’t there. The US is moving in that direction. However WWII showed that quality isn’t necessarily as important as quantity.

True for now, but with the surge in a technically trained work force look for that deficit to be resolved and with their pirating skills they will probably match up to every one else in toys and ability.

Road-Worrier . . . .

It’s stories like this that put Trump’s insistence on NATO countries upping their spending in perspective.

Good point Road-Worrier.

Where is Bernie hollering about your (Germany’s) “fair-share” here?

God bless.

Cathoholic

You are so right, one of these incompetent officer’s Daddy with pay offs and Hollywood turned one into a President.

The U.S, graduates a lot of STEM types as well … but they are foreign students … the schoolwork is too difficult for the gender studies future baristas of America.

Are you referencing Kennedy here?

Had not heard that … maybe we need more of those tall training ships.

My understanding is that the American navy protects a lot of the trade ships from pirates around the world. This would presumably include the Europe to Asia routes that go past the Muslim north and east African pirates who are heavily armed.

If this is the case doesn’t places like Germany owe the American navy somewhat for their level of prosperity?

This is in addition to any protection from invasion. Shouldn’t Germany be extremely thankful for the American military?

The court of inquiry finding is discussed at the site This aint hell.

Why yes I am.

From what I know Kennedy was hardly an incompetent as a military officer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.