Is God all three members of the Trinity?

I was wondering if God is all three members of the Trinity or just the Father.

This is the basis for why I was wondering that.

1 Corinthians 6:19

New Revised Standard Version

19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own?

John 3:16

16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.

If the Holy Spirit is “which you have from God” and it says of God “That he gave his only son” how then is Jesus God?

It seems to say he is in John 1:1.

John 1:1

The Word Became Flesh

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The case for this Word being Jesus is here.

Revelation 19:13

13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is called The Word of God.

As for the Holy Spirit being God in Romans 8:9 in the greek it says “Spirit God” dwells in you there is no of in the greek it was added.

Romans 8:9

9 But you are not in the flesh; you are in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

233 Christians are baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit: not in their names , for there is only one God, the almighty Father, his only Son and the Holy Spirit: the Most Holy Trinity.

**[234]The mystery of the Most Holy Trinity is the central mystery of Christian faith and life. It is the mystery of God in himself. It is therefore the source of all the other mysteries of faith, the light that enlightens them. It is the most fundamental and essential teaching in the “hierarchy of the truths of faith”. The whole history salvation is identical with the history of the way and the means by which the one true God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, reveals himself to men “and reconciles and unites with himself those who turn away from sin”.

**[237]The Trinity is a mystery of faith in the strict sense, one of the “mysteries that are hidden in God, which can never be known unless they are revealed by God”.58 To be sure, God has left traces of his Trinitarian being in his work of creation and in his Revelation throughout the Old Testament. But his inmost Being as Holy Trinity is a mystery that is inaccessible to reason alone or even to Israel’s faith before the Incarnation of God’s Son and the sending of the Holy Spirit.

The dogma of the Holy Trinity

**[253]The Trinity is One . We do not confess three Gods, but one God in three persons, the “consubstantial Trinity”. The divine persons do not share the one divinity among themselves but each of them is God whole and entire: “The Father is that which the Son is, the Son that which the Father is, the Father and the Son that which the Holy Spirit is, i.e. by nature one God.” In the words of the Fourth Lateran Council (1215), “Each of the persons is that supreme reality, viz., the divine substance, essence or nature.”

4 Likes

God is One. The persons of the Trinity are not parts that make up a single God, rather it is that one God who is three persons. The divinity of the persons of the Trinity is the same, but the persons are not each other (the Father is not the Son, etc.).

3 Likes

There is one being of God, who is manifested to us through the three persons of the Trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. That being said, different authors will frequently use different normative terms for each member of the Godhead. So the Father is also normatively called God. Jesus is normatively referred to as the Son or the Savior. The Holy Spirit is normatively referred to as the Spirit or the Counselor or Helper or Advocate. That being said, just because the term God is normatively applied to refer to the Father, that is not its sole usage. The term God is also used to refer to Jesus and to the Holy Spirit on occasions. So when you see a technical/theological term used, you have to examine how it is used in a specific context, but also how an author uses that term throughout his entire body of works.

1 Like

Handy graphic of the Trinity:

11 Likes

Couldn’t resist posting.

4 Likes

People have posted that before, but it’s pretty silly given that every third Catholic Church in most US cities has a big statue of St Patrick with a shamrock in his hand. If they’re named for St Patrick or other Irish saint, there’s usually shamrock designs on the walls and floor too. I don’t think Irish Catholics bother with that video.

In Orthodoxy, God is the Father, and the Son and Holy Spirit are God.

2 Likes

Patrick explained the Trinity so I thought it appropriate.

2 Likes

I for one was never confused by his alleged explanation :slight_smile: then again I’m just a dim bear

1 Like

If you get the chance to read Frank Sheed’s “Theology for Beginners”. It has some of the best writing I know of about the Trinity.

3 Likes

Wow :rofl: So much for my own conceptions. :man_facepalming:

Divine simplicity is best. :man_shrugging:t6::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer me.

1 Like

God is the Creator of Everything.

The Creator of Everything exists as three distinct persons simultaneously:

1. The Father
  2. The begotten Son, who is eternally generated.
  3. The Holy Spirit, who eternally proceeds from the Father and the Son.

Each are God, the Creator of Everything, yet each are not one another. The Father is neither the Son nor the Holy Spirit.

In regards to Scripture, the passages could have read:
9 But you are not in the flesh; you are in God, since God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have God does not belong to God.

However, the distinctions are incredibly important.

Collectively and individually the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are God. Conventionally, when referring to one of the divine persons, the Father is God, unless the context indicates otherwise, as when Thomas called Jesus, “My Lord and my God” (John 20:28) or when Peter equated lying to the Holy Spirit to lying to God. (Acts 5:3-4)

1 Like

I think people tend to get caught up in the weeds when trying to create metaphors to explain the Trinity. Metaphors are usually used to push a certain aspect of what you are trying to explain. If you push them further than they were intended, all metaphors break down at some point. That seems to be the issue with things like St. Patrick’s use of the Shamrock as an explanation. It says more about the person pushing the metaphor than anything else.

The Athanasian Creed explains it the best.

Where we neither confuse nor divide.

2 Likes

Yes, the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. Three divine persons but one God as the three persons are of one divine nature or substance.

Where I come from it usually “says” the person is a proud Irish Catholic. Others are free to misinterpret as they choose.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.