Is God involved?

I’m having a discussion with a friend of mine over God’s nature. He just told me that his girlfriend is an atheist who thinks that people resort to using “God’s will” as an excuse for tragedies and that there is basically no meaning to life. (A logical conclusion of atheism, I might add) anyway, he believes that while God exists, He isn’t involved in our lives. This seems like a deist way of thinking. He said that God has a plan for us all and we can’t do anything to change the outcome of our lives since God knows it already and is sitting back watching us fail.

I don’t know why he thinks this way, as he’s a practicing Catholic. I said that God does have a plan and He’s watching us, and it’s because of our own stupid choices that we fail. He agreed. He said that God knows our fate but doesn’t care. I would just like to know how to respond to this in the future. Thanks.

If God does not care, why did he send his Son to teach us how to live and to pay the ransom for our sins?

A lot of things here.
First, comprehending God’s nature is a big thing, We know God from His creation that surrounds us, and through revelation of Jesus Christ. Jesus says that we are God’s adopted children, so there should be no question about the meaning of life. We are God’s adopted children, made in the image and likeness, and He loves you personally.
If the girl is an atheist, tell her that God loves her anyway and ask her what is her system of beliefs. She might be a marialist?
Your friend’s fatalistic statement suggests that he is nominally Catholic and needs to give some thought to what it means to be Catholic.

The book of Genesis begins with:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

God established order over chaos. Ths Spirit of God tames this chaos, brings light of consciousness. There is no room for meaninglessness in this finely ordered universe.

Deists do not believe in any plan by God for any of us. We are born through the interaction of out parents and make our choices from there.

Just wanted to clarify.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.