Is God one of the elements that can put a person in Hell?

Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather be afraid of God, who can destroy both body and soul in hell.

Some Christians implies that a person go to Hell naturally if he doesn’t believe in Jesus and God has nothing to do with it but what about this verse?

Ver. 28. Fear not those that, &c. Men are afraid of a prison, yet they are not afraid of hell fire. They fear temporal punishments, but dread not the torments of eternal fire. (St. Augustine in Baradius) — He who continually fears hell, will never fall into it; but he who is negligent, will undoubtedly fall. (St. Chrysostom in Baradius)

The above is from the Haydock commentary. I hope it might help you.

Mt. 10:28 And fear not them that kill the body, and cannot kill the soul: but rather fear him that can destroy both soul and body in hell. (Douay Rheims translation)

Mt.10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. (RSV translation)
The Bible text does not specifiy who “him” is.

Hi,

I don’t think that God sends any one to hell. I think we do that all by ourselves by our actions and or inaction’s. God wants us in heaven with Him ,

God does not send anyone to Hell. A person who ends up in Hell has freely chosen to go there by rejecting God’s love by dying in a state of mortal sin.

The verse I put is from the Good News version.

Dear Nita, this is the passage in Greek. When we want to make a point about a word in particular, we have no need to waste our time with translations. They can translate what they want but the Greek is the source and you can have a look an interlinear version.

“28 καὶ μὴ φοβεῖσθε ἀπὸ τῶν ἀποκτεννόντων τὸ σῶμα τὴν δὲ ψυχὴν μὴ δυναμένων ἀποκτεῖναι· φοβεῖσθε δὲ μᾶλλον τὸν δυνάμενον καὶ ψυχὴν καὶ σῶμα ἀπολέσαι ἐν γεέννῃ.” (In Mk 12:4-6 mentions once him and immediately mentions God)

The first red bold means “the ones” and the second red bold “the one”, so you see that neither you quote right by saying “them” or “him”. Therefore even the word “God” is not in the Greek text, that is the meaning, so we thank Souldiver for making easy to understand to who refers “the one”:thumbsup:

How we know Souldiver is right:confused: because what follows in the text:

"29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father’s will. 30 But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. " I hope you are not going to argue with this but “your Father’s will” refers to our Father in heaven.

And also:

“But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death.” Ap 21:8

This is the eternal death of the soul for the ones that did not resurrect in the first resurrection, which is now in the millennial kingdom of Christ with his Church.

Therefore in the end our** Fathers’s will and our Lord’s will** for us, is determined by our actions. Therefore yes, it is in the power of God to deliver the faithless and reprobates to eternal death, which now is called the lake of fire, where also death and Hades will be. Rev 20:14 In the New Testament Jesus called this “hell” of the fire (Mt 18:9) hell with the unquenchable fire (Mk 9:43) or just hell.

In the love of the truth,
Gloria

This is not right because every blasphemy against Christ will be forgiven but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit no. “And whosoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whosoever speaks against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” Mt 32 “Therefore I say unto you, all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men, but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.” Mt 12:31

In fact we know who is blaspheming God:

“4 And they worshiped the dragon (…) 5 And there was given unto him a mouth, speaking great things and blasphemies, and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.
6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God to blaspheme His name, and His tabernacle, and them that dwell in Heaven.” Rev 13:4-6

The problem is not with believing, the problem is with doing. I can say I believe in God go every day to Mass, received communion regularly but if I have my heart full of dirty thinking, my behavior towards others is merciless, I do not forgive any one anything that does to me but I keep resentment, I envy others, I am a drunkard, and like to have sexual freedom. Do you think that my believes are going to save me:confused: NO :frighten:

In the love of God,
Gloria

Well, first of all, the trinity shows us that there is actually one being but it includes 3 different entities, so if one were to blaspheme Christ, they would also be doing the same thing to the holy spirit and to blaspheme the holy spirit is the same as blaspheming God (the Holy Trinity 3=1)

Regarding ones beliefs to enter heaven, there are many verses that basically say the same thing…as long as a person BELIEVES in the Son of God, or believes Christ died for our sins, or believes other…that person WILL be in paradise, so I think it is all about beliefs. If this was not accurate, those verses would have asterisks or include other information required to be with God in the afterlife.

According to many of these verses, as long as you believe Jesus was who he claimed to be, God is our creator and is the only God, believes Jesus died for our sins, etc. that is all that is needed. I can provide specific verses if needed. Are you suggesting these verses are not true?

"He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.” Mk 16:16-18

"Every one who believes that Jesus is the Christ is a child of God, and every one who loves the parent loves the child. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. " 1 Jn 5:1-2

“You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder.” James 2:19

And to end with this and to be sure that we understand what is to believe hear this:

" “Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’ "Mt 7:21-23

"When once the householder has risen up and shut the door, you will begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, open to us.’ He will answer you, ‘I do not know where you come from.’ Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.’ But he will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you come from; depart from me, all you workers of iniquity!’ " Lk 13:25-27

I hope this will clarify to you that it is not enough even to go to Church if you do not change from withing and act righteously, and on top keep the Commandments of God.:thumbsup:

YOUR BELIEVES WILL NOT SAVE YOU :tsktsk: If you do not keep the Commandments and live a righteous life.

In the love of Christ,
Gloria

Jesus has the keys to hell:

Rv:1:18: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Man is THE element that puts a himself in hell, because of man’s condition in the Presence of God without God seeing the man through His Beloved Son Jesus Christ. As Apostle Paul has reiterated in Hebrews, what Moses said, is that our God is a consuming fire and that which as Paul describes in Corinthians Chapter 3, is not of God shall be destroyed.

Jesus is God’s Word, Lord of all the is made (see Gospel according to John Chapter 1) hence in agreement with God through His Word our Lord Jesus Christ is salvation from what is unacceptable in God’s Presence which is the state of men without Christ.

So sure one could say because of the Creator and Judge man will experience hell in the view you have expressed, but it is because of the Creator and Judge that all are, and all live, in many cases any kind of life, and that even in man’s error the Creator and Judge has fulfilled the Way for man’s salvation and restoration into His Presence and live.

God can’t put someone in Hell. The person chose it by refusing God in his life.
God is LOVE.

The trinity still has three dinstinct persons that are one in nature. So I would suppose you could blasphemy one without the other.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.