Your donation helps provide answers and spread the gospel. GIVE NOW! Matching gift doubles your donation.

Is God’s love unconditional? I think not

If God did not love those who reject him, he would not continually offer his salvation to them.

God allows us to freely accept his love. He has also given us the means to be saved through his love. But he does not force us to choose him. Whether we accept him or not though, he still unconditionally loves us and offers us his grace.

CCC 214 God, “HE WHO IS”, revealed himself to Israel as the one “abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness”. These two terms express summarily the riches of the divine name. In all his works God displays, not only his kindness, goodness, grace and steadfast love, but also his trustworthiness, constancy, faithfulness and truth. “I give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness.” He is the Truth, for “God is light and in him there is no darkness”; “God is love”, as the apostle John teaches.

CCC 220 God’s love is “everlasting”: “For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you.” Through Jeremiah, God declares to his people, “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.”

The Catechism here quotes Isaiah 51:10, Jeremiah 31:3, and others.

A good verse that comes right after the modern day commandment, “Thou shalt not judge.” Jesus is teaching His disciples not to judge the state of eachother’s souls, that all have weaknesses and failings to work through while on the way. He differentiates this “not judging” from the judging that we need to do to keep those that are unrepentant and choosing evil from forcing that evil on to the rest of the people. One can love people while calling out their evils by comparing them to the unclean animals. In fact, it is far more loving to call them out than to be accepting of their sinful lives.

I recommend a book that might help you understand God’s attributes, including His love better. “Theology and Sanity” by Frank Sheed.

God’s love is unconditional, but that does not mean we cannot still reject it. If God ever stopped loving someone they would stop existing. It is God’s love that sustains and preserves the universe, we are but his hum.

When the bible says things like ,“Keep yourselves in God’s love” it means do not put yourself in a situation that hardens your heart to enjoying and benefiting from that love.

This is why we can rationally believe in a all loving God and the concept of hell. God continues to love even those in hell, he cannot help but love them, so they exist, they exist in a eternal state of rejection of God infinite love.

I would love to be convinced of this but Jesus said not to give those dogs and pigs the good news of the Gospel. That cannot be love in the sense that we understand it.

**“For the most High hateth sinners, and will repay vengeance unto the ungodly, and keepeth them against the mighty day of their punishment.”**Ecclesiasticus 12:6

Sorry if I seem intransigent but this is a direct statement that God hates sinners.
(sinners in the sense of reprobate, ungodly)

Jesus was a Jew. As a Messiah, he came to the Jews first and then to the whole world.

The Jews thought the gentiles as dogs and pigs, terms which actually meant they were unbelievers or had strayed away from God, like the Samaritans, which they looked down on.

Jesus later did affirm the non-Jews and that he also came to them to bring salvation.

Chris, I’m guessing you are not a big fan of poetry?

This only means that when we obey God’s commandments, we would be his disciples and therefore experience his love (his grace). If we do not obey his commandments, we are not his disciples and therefore unable to experience God unlike the disciples. We bring it upon ourselves to be outside of God’s love, not that God does not love us.

And yet He suffered torture and death rather than simply turn His back on them.

Jesus is the ultimate evidence that God loves even His enemies. (You don’t actually think He’d give us a moral command that He does not exemplify perfectly, do you?)

Right, I a kind of a simple guy. I have never been good at imagery, discerning hidden meanings, reading between the lines and such.

I think most of the other posters would agree.

Thank you for all the replies and sincere thoughts, but I can’t get passed the 4 or 5 Scripture quotes that say God hates sinners. Also I cannot get passed the complete lack of the Church anywhere or anything saying definitively that God loves everybody all the time. The Church does not say that de fide anywhere. If it were true it would be on the front cover of the CCC, boldly proclaimed at every Mass and massive publicity.

Thanks again.

Did you know we Catholics don’t orphan scripture passages and we do not use sacred scripture alone

Thanks for the nice video. The priest brings up another point of discussion — God has sent billions of people to burn in Hell for all eternity but He really, really loves them! If this is true then that is a different type of love, foreign to any love that human beings can understand.

God sends NO ONE to Hell. We by our UNrepented sins send ourselves to Hell. God gives us every possible chance to change that until our dying breath.

The complete unconditional love of God is so essential that it is difficult to express. And God is love, so it should be difficult to express in human words. Proof texting scripture to disprove God’s unconditional love is not, er… fruitful, at best.

And so in face of that difficulty, after all the scripture is quoted and all the ideas quoted, you come face to face with the eternal Son of God in Jesus Christ.
God needs nothing. He does not need human beings to be complete in his glory. God is love before God creates us to debate this issue. Father, Son, Holy Spirit; perfect love.

The fact that you even exist is proof that God’s love does not admit conditions, because you yourself are a contingent being. You didn’t create yourself, and you don’t deserve to exist, you exist purely because God’s love wills you.

And as a contingent being who is sinful, God did not vaporize you, but instead came into the world to save your sorry self.
If you don’t see that God’s love is without conditions, you are not seeing Jesus Christ.

@ChrisGriffin. Are you Catholic? Practising Catholic?

Yes. Why do you ask?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me_, ye that work iniquity. Matt 7:23

But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him. Luke 12:5

THE SIN causes our destination not God. We choose what road to take and we have to answer for our choice. But the good news is that until our dying breath we can repent, we can ask for forgiveness and be forgiven. ONLY when the sin of pride stops us and we have one of these conditions do we end up in hell:

The 6 Sins against the Holy Ghost
Presumption
Despair
Resisting the known truth
Envy of another’s spiritual good
Obstinacy in sin
Final impenitence

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.