Is God the Father's name Love?

Based on St. John 17: 26, is God’s name Love?
St. John 17: 26

NIV I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

RSV I made known to them thy name, and I will make it known, that the love with which thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them."

KJV And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare [it]: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

God’s Name is YHWH. It is an Unutterable Name, for two reasons: It is a Hebrew Name, and Hebrew has no vowels, so the Name cannot be pronounced; God’s Name is so holy - yea, God Himself - that no one dares speak it. The name “Lord” is used as a substitute for God’s Name, in reverence.

Love is an attribute of God, just as Mercy, Justice, and Holiness are attributes of God.

Hmm, interesting theory. There’s a lot of talk on what exactly Jesus meant by this prayer.

Also,
John 17:6 “I revealed your name to those whom you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.”

General consensus is that the name revealed was “I AM” as referenced to John 8:24, 28, 58 and 13:19

However, “I AM” is the name of the Triune God not just the God the Father alone.
Jehovah’s Witness use this argument to “prove” that since Jesus prays and refers to the whole God of the Old Testament then he is independent of Him and therefore not a part of Him.

However it could be the MAN Jesus Christ praying to GOD (seems to be the situation here)

Still others say a “name” only refers to a nature. So when Jesus talks about revealing His Father’s name, he means his nature therefore Love is plausible however a bit of a stretch…

Omyo12 and Eucharisted

I want to thank you for your insights and help.

Thank you!

Moses said to God, “When I come to the Isrealites and say to them ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?” And God said to Moses, “Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh.” Thus shall you say to the Israelites, Ehyeh has sent me to you.’ " And God further said to Moses, 'thus shall you speak to the Israelites: The LORD , the God of your fathers,the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This shall be My name forever, This is My appellation for all eternity." Ex 3:14-15 JPS

Y H W H

As Crumpy said YHWH is" Ehyeh-Asher- Ehyeh" In Exodus 3:14 God tell Moses the meaning first. -which the most probable translation is “I Will Be What I will Be,” meaning “My Nature Will Become evident From My Actions.” So God not only Says what He is and does but actually accomplishes it and wants us to do the same." You will know they are Christians by their love".

The rabbinic sages point out that the Name was not one that was unknown to the Israelites, otherwise that confusion would have diminished Moses’ credibility.

I cannot thank you enough for all of your help.

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.