Is God unfair to those that do NOT suffer

on earth?

Some people get a lot more crosses than others, usually Christians, whilst some ‘non-believers and lukewarm believers’ get to have everything they desire on earth with little suffering - whether it be money, healthy children and a good marriage, happiness, full mental and physical health, etc.

I would guess a lot of CAF members have had their faith strengthened through suffering, so is God fair on those that have had no or little suffering?

I fully realise all the attributes above mentioned do not necessarily lead to happiness, on earth.

So, as an example, if we take the words of St Gemma below, and other instances in the bible - God gives suffering to people to ensure their soul will not be lost and/or to hone it like gold. If this is the case is it FAIR that those with everything and/or are fully happy and content hence they have no ‘urge’ to look for God, should not also be made to suffer so as to humble them and make them dependent on God - and hence save their soul?

It is also assumed that these ‘happy’ people will also be saved, so then why must others suffer so much whilst a lot do not need to. Are their souls easier to save, will they not be saved and/or are their souls not dear to God - which begs the question as to why one soul would be dearer to God, than another?

*St Gemma:

"Jesus once said to me: “Do you know, daughter, for what reason I send crosses to souls dear to me? I desire to possess their souls, entirely, and for this I surround them with crosses, and I enclose them in sufferings and tribulation, that they may not escape from my hands; and for this I scatter thorns, that souls may fasten their affections upon no one, but find all content in Me alone. My daughter, if you do not feel the cross it cannot be called a cross. Be sure that under the cross you will not be lost. The demon has no strength against those souls who for My love groan under the cross. 0 My daughter, how many would have abandoned Me if they had not been crucified. The cross is a gift too precious, and from it come many virtues.”

I prayed then to Jesus that He would not concede to me any grace except that of loving Him very much, and Jesus said: “Oh soul dear to me, if you truly love Me, behold My chalice; you can drink it to the last drop. On this chalice I have placed My lips, and I want you to drink it.” I told Jesus to do with me as He would. And then He said to me: “I have sent this cross to you, you do not appreciate it; rather it is contrary to your desire, but the more it is contrary, the more it is like Mine. Would it not seem to you a dreadful thing to see a father in the midst of sorrow and the children enjoying themselves? When I shall be your Spouse of blood, I will come to you, but crucified; show your love to me as I have shown it toward you, and do you know how? By suffering, pains, and crosses without number. You ought, therefore, to consider yourself honored, if I lead you on paths hard and painful; if I permit that you be tormented by the demon, that the world despise you, that persons most dear to you afflict you, and with daily martyrdom, I permit your soul to be purified and tested. And you, daughter, think only of practicing great virtue; run in the path of the Divine Will, humbled, assured, that if I hold you to the cross, I love you.” *

Greetings,
I’m at a loss as to how we can not suffer. If we have a physical body and a mind/ego we suffer. Some more than others because(in my view) either we haven’t learned to let go of the suffering we cause ourselves or we haven’t learned how to use that suffering.
Those with more material wealth than I have for instance may suffer daily worrying about the possible loss of it. Blessings and be well.

Well true to a point, and as I said the 'blessings# mentioned above were not necessarily a means to happiness.

However, there is suffering and then there is suffering.

Worrying about losing your material wealth will not, in many instances, turn a person back to God, if anything it will make the person more self sufficient and self dependent. I meant deep personal suffering - the loss of a child, being homeless, loss of a spouse, severe mental or physical health issues, etc…

IMHO, a person worrying about losing their material wealth, is not suffering. It is worry born out of self indulgence and self dependence which does not lead a soul back to God - if anything it will make them look to more self indulgent practices to hang onto their wealth, to make more money, etc.

Look at all the celebrities. Overdosing, etc. does not indicate non-suffering.

Yes but that’s self induced suffering through addiction and/or they did not have strong mental health to start with - a form of suffering. Addicts/drug users/or having suicidal tendencies do get a wake-up call as they are unhappy (suffering), querying what they have, and have a better chance of looking outside themselves and towards God.

There are others that go through life with no strong personal issues - no, wake-up moment through death of family, bankruptcy, chronic illness, mental health issues, despair, drug or alcohol addiction or whatever, that could effectively bring them to their knees to ask what’s the point in it all and hence start looking for and hopefully turning to God.

Obviously, it would be impossible for people not to suffer, at all, on earth, however there is a difference between self-inflicted modes of suffering e.g. worrying about making their next $10 million and suffering or trials that are totally outwith the person’s control, like a terminally ill young child, severe physical injuries, etc…

Hello,
All of our suffering is self induced. You cannot make me suffer only I can. If you slap my face for any reason at all I feel the pain from that slap. The suffering I cause myself wondering why? Why so hard? Why me? Why why why? I brood and hold grudges and don’t let go of the slap which may have happened in high school or even earlier. So for all the years since the slap I cause myself to suffer because I haven’t let go. So in essence I treat the slap as if it just happened. We cause our own suffering-no one else does. Rich or poor, tall or short, obese or too thin we all suffer- no exceptions. My suffering is no less real than yours and yours is no more real than that of anyone else. Blessings to you and yours.

We cannot see inside another person’s heart, mind or soul to determine who is suffering more than another. Simply because we cannot see their suffering doesn’t mean they don’t have any or little. Appearances can be deceiving. Someone who seems to have everything might be suffering terribly. Look at Robin Williams, for example. He was brought up in a good home, never knew real want and yet, because he suffered from deep depression, ended up taking his life–may God grant him eternal peace. He made everyone else laugh, but he couldn’t pull himself out of the depths of depression no matter what meds he took or what treatments he received.

God doesn’t give us equal suffering because he knows what each of us can handle–with his grace, and what we cannot handle. As the Apostles wrote: God does not give us more that we can bear. Rather, no matter what we suffer he is there for us–to heal our hearts, minds, souls and bodies through is infinite mercy and grace.

I’m not going to respond to the suffering part of your question because you have received many wise replies.

But the first part of your questions…" Is God unfair…"

How can a perfect God be unfair?

This is an excerpt from the revelations of St Bridget of Sweden, and I believe where my query, in relation to this thread, first formed after reading it. Obviously, as it is a private revelation to a Saint it may or may not be true.

Also God is never ‘unfair or unjust’, hence my thread title was badly worded.

dailycatholic.org/bridge14.htm

*There are three kinds of people who serve Me in this world: The first are those who believe Me to be God, the Creator and giver of all things and mighty ruler over everything. They serve Me with the intention of gaining honor and worldly things, but the things of Heaven are considered as nothing to them so that they would gladly do without it if they, instead, could gain the perishable and present things. According to their desire, worldly pleasure falls to them in everything and so they lose the eternal things, but I recompense them with worldly benefits for all the good things they have done for My sake right down to the last farthing and the very last moment.

The second are those who believe Me to be God almighty and a strict judge, and these serve Me because of fear of punishment but not out of love for the heavenly glory. If they were not afraid of suffering, they would not serve Me.

The third are those who believe Me to be the Creator of all things and true God and who believe Me to be just and merciful. These do not serve Me because of any fear of punishment but because of divine love and charity. Rather, they would prefer and endure every punishment, if they could bear it, than to even once provoke Me to wrath.

But the ones who belong to the first kind shall never escape from the place of punishment and torment or get to see My face. The ones who belong to the second kind shall not be punished and tormented as much, but will still be unable to see My face, unless he corrects his fear through penitence and amendment.

I’m sure I can say without fear of contradiction that we are to examine our own consciences with St. Bridget’s words not judge others by them. I cannot see how judging others based on what we think we see of their lives was her intention. If someone is given earthly benefits because they did good for God but not for love of him, only God can know that, not us, no matter how much we might think we know that person’s life. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.