Is going to a chiropractor sinful?

I had always thought that the Church had looked down on this, but now my mom wants me to come with her to have a chiropractic session. It really helped her with headaches, and from where the most nerve pressure is in my neck, it could be contributing to scrupulousity, which this could help.

Anyway, is it sinful, and if not, why?

On what do you base your idea that the Church has some sort of teaching about chiropractors?

The Church has no teaching against medical treatments if they are moral in nature.

I don’t really know. I guess kind of a mix of all that occult/new age stuff that confuses the noodles (for loss of a better word) out of me. I’ve heard accupuncture is of the “occult” before, so I kind of assumed chiropractics were too.

Maybe it’s just my scrupulousity at work.

I hope not! After 28 years of being a firefighter I need to get adjusted every other week.:slight_smile: I really don’t think you have to worry about going. If I had any doubts I wouldn’t go.

Not sure what the Church teaches about it, but it is not a smart decision. :mad:

They cannot fix your issues…only prolong them. When going to school for their certification (it’s a Dr. degree…but at their own “special schools”…not real universities), they actually take courses in making a patient’s issues last a lifetime. Two words: job security.

They present themselves as a Doctor for medical purposes, but they are no more of a medical doctor than Dr. Dan…my preacher. But they have one of the best lobbies in the business, so they get away with it. They make false claims on what their treatments can do.

I’m probably missing some…
Just speak with any Physical Therapist. They often get chiropractor mess-ups.

To each his own. :shrug:

My Mom was spared painful back surgery and recovery by going to a chiropractor about 10 years ago. She still goes, feels great and leaves us all in the dust whenever we walk together!

If the chiropractor dances around a cauldron and sacrafices live cats to Zorgon the space god, than it’s probably not a good idea.

Otherwise, it’s just a waste of money. :wink:

(I’m totally kidding on the waste of money thing! It’s a joke! I know a chriopractor who is a wonderful person! I tease him all the time about this and he laughs about it! )

Methinks you’re painting with too broad a brush. There are many chiropractors out there who genuinely help people. I go about once every 4 or years or so when I really screw up my back or neck.

That being said, if a person has to go back again and again and again, are the treatments really effective?

Is spinal allignment really related to liver, kidney or other diseases? Personally, I’m skeptical.

On the first side, however, I’ve taken a bit different approach to medical treatments over the years. If it helps a person feel better, even if it’s a placebo effect, is that such a bad thing?

Once again, on the flip side, I take the diagnosis of the Chiropractor with a grain of salt. If they can adjust me once or twice and make me feel better, I’m all for that.

Zorgon? lol

It’s not immoral, but I wouldn’t be expecting it to help with scrupulosity, either.

“Chiropractors must be licensed, requiring 2 to 4 years of undergraduate education, the completion of a 4-year chiropractic college course, and passing scores on national and State examinations.”

"The chiropractic approach to healthcare focuses on the patient’s overall health. Chiropractors provide natural, drugless, nonsurgical health treatments, relying on the body’s inherent recuperative abilities. They also recognize that many factors affect health, including exercise, diet, rest, environment, and heredity. Chiropractors recommend changes in lifestyle that affect those factors. In some situations, chiropractors refer patients to or consult with other health practitioners.

Like other health practitioners, chiropractors follow a standard routine to get information needed to diagnose and treat patients. They take the patient’s health history; conduct physical, neurological, and orthopedic examinations; and may order laboratory tests. X rays and other diagnostic images are important tools because of the chiropractor’s emphasis on the spine and its proper function. Chiropractors also analyze the patient’s posture and spine using a specialized technique. For patients whose health problems can be traced to the musculoskeletal system, chiropractors manually adjust the spinal column."

bls.gov/oco/ocos071.htm

All I could think of for a name. If I got his name wrong, I’m sure he’ll tell me. :o

Sure hope not, because my neck is killing me from sitting here posting too many -]profound wisdom/-] little opinions on CAF these last few days :D, and if I could afford a chiropractor, I’d go in a heartbeat.

I remember chiropractors being around before New Age, although back then they got little respect. I think it depends on who you go to as far as quality. Just my opinion, not to be construed as medical advice, OK? Ask around your friends and family for reputation and so on, and check with state agencies that regulate the chiropractors to see if there have been any complaints filed against those you’re considering.:shrug:

I agree with this…
I know people who are stauchly on both sides of the fence pro and con…

Personally I like them. Have been helped considerably.
Someone mentioned that physical tharapists get their screw-ups but the opposite can also be true. I’ve talked to people who spent months/years going to doctors for back issues and the MD’s just kept prescribing this or that pill because it wasn’t bad enough for surgury blah blah…They went to a chiropractor and over a course of treatment got great relief.

As with anything else, there are good ones and bad ones.

Peace
James

Let’s see, what makes all the organs in your body function? Bingo, the nervous system. Pinch off a nerve to any of these organs and you’ve got a problem. (Did you ever consider that if you severed a nerve to the heart you would die instantly?) Pinching one off won’t kill you, but it will do it slowly. Doctors will give you medicine to relieve the pain and take care of symptom upon symptom with ever fixing the problem half the time. It’s not just about relieving pain.

So don’t discount chiropractic. Keep your nervous system healthy and the rest of your body will benefit from that.

The other half of that is to find good chiropractic.

Joe B

I was actually totally against it until my Captain kept insisting I at least try. Ten years of lower back pain gone in a matter of weeks.

Hey Rascalking, I paid a $10.00 copay 7 years ago and haven’t paid one since (good insurance). Now, I don’t know how much Zorgon charges, but I thinks that’s a pretty good deal. :wink: (and you KNOW I’m just bustin’ yer chops, brother :wink: )

All kidding aside. He’s good for an adjustment, but I’m 50/50 on the all my ills are related to spinal alignment thing and I do NOT seek he’s medical advice.

:thumbsup:

No problem my friend.To paraphrase Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny, “I could use a good chop being busted every now and then!”

LOL
:rotfl:

The nervous system is a little more complicated that what you might be suggesting. I’m not completely discounting Chiropractic, but I am very skeptical over some of the claims. For musculoskeletal issues, methinks it’s quite valuable. Thyroid disease? Kidney disease? Very skeptical.

A chiropractor was the only one who was able to relieve my headaches, neck, and shoulder pain from my car accident. A medical doctor just wanted to keep pushing pain pills at me and telling me to “to wait”. If I took the pain pills, I could not function at all. After every adjustment at the chiropractor, I felt like a million bucks for a week or more. And no, mine did not keep me “coming back forever”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.