Is going to work after Sunday mass okay?

Of course in my question there are other things to consider like not giving enough time to your family and what not, but let’s say a single career focused person wants to work after mass on a Sunday. Is there anything wrong with this?

“Single career focused” — Hmmm there may be some competition between a false idol (career) and God … But a good examination of conscience would be the best to see if this is the case. It does build a habit. Over time the habit will be hard to break. Now you may not have a family who needs you to relax and worship God, but if you spend years, decades doing this, it will become hard to change the habit in the future.

In the OT it was a sin to make your slaves work (translate to today’s words … Employees) and vice versa. The took it to extreem and Jesus called them on their sillyness … But we all are tempted by our false idols and need to be aware of these.

You have a point, but I don’t think it’s wrong to want to advance in a career when young so I can have a decent income when I start a family and what not. I don’t see that as false idols.

Your fine.

There may be no other alternative…if you are a cop or work for a hospital or at Walmart , you may be required to work Sundays on a rotation basis.

As long as you get to one of the Masses on Saturday or Sunday evening, I don’t think God will judge you with a mortal sin.

It depends what you do for a living and how necessary it is for you to be at work that day.

If you are a doctor or nurse or someone like that who has to take care of people on a Sunday, then it is legal for you to go to work.

If you and your family will starve or be thrown out of your house unless you go to work on Sunday, I suppose that it would be okay to go.

But no, it is not alright for someone who just wants extra spending money or an advancement in a career to go to work on Sunday even if you are single. It is sinful. I once heard a priest once give an example of an immigrant woman during a homily. This woman really wanted to buy herself a house, so she went to work as a cleaning lady on Sundays. She got the house, but in the meantime there had been so great a change in the financial system in her adopted country that it turned out that she could have gotten an even nicer house, with much less work, if she had rested on Sundays. Obviously, she regretted that decision to work like an ox.

Pope Benedict XVI

Living the Sunday obligation

1. Conscious of this new vital principle which the Eucharist imparts to the Christian, the Synod Fathers reaffirmed the importance of the Sunday obligation for all the faithful, viewing it as a wellspring of authentic freedom enabling them to live each day in accordance with what they celebrated on “the Lord’s Day.” The life of faith is endangered when we lose the desire to share in the celebration of the Eucharist and its commemoration of the paschal victory. Participating in the Sunday liturgical assembly with all our brothers and sisters, with whom we form one body in Jesus Christ, is demanded by our Christian conscience and at the same time it forms that conscience. To lose a sense of Sunday as the Lord’s Day, a day to be sanctified, is symptomatic of the loss of an authentic sense of Christian freedom, the freedom of the children of God. (206) Here some observations made by my venerable predecessor John Paul II in his Apostolic Letter Dies Domini (207) continue to have great value. Speaking of the various dimensions of the Christian celebration of Sunday, he said that it is Dies Domini with regard to the work of creation, Dies Christi as the day of the new creation and the Risen Lord’s gift of the Holy Spirit, Dies Ecclesiae as the day on which the Christian community gathers for the celebration, and Dies hominis as the day of joy, rest and fraternal charity.

Sunday thus appears as the primordial holy day, when all believers, wherever they are found, can become heralds and guardians of the true meaning of time. It gives rise to the Christian meaning of life and a new way of experiencing time, relationships, work, life and death. On the Lord’s Day, then, it is fitting that Church groups should organize, around Sunday Mass, the activities of the Christian community: social gatherings, programmes for the faith formation of children, young people and adults, pilgrimages, charitable works, and different moments of prayer. For the sake of these important values – while recognizing that Saturday evening, beginning with First Vespers, is already a part of Sunday and a time when the Sunday obligation can be fulfilled – we need to remember that it is Sunday itself that is meant to be kept holy, lest it end up as a day “empty of God.” (208)

The meaning of rest and of work

1. Finally, it is particularly urgent nowadays to remember that the day of the Lord is also a day of rest from work. It is greatly to be hoped that this fact will also be recognized by civil society, so that individuals can be permitted to refrain from work without being penalized. Christians, not without reference to the meaning of the Sabbath in the Jewish tradition, have seen in the Lord’s Day a day of rest from their daily exertions. This is highly significant, for it relativizes work and directs it to the person: work is for man and not man for work. It is easy to see how this actually protects men and women, emancipating them from a possible form of enslavement. As I have had occasion to say, “work is of fundamental importance to the fulfilment of the human being and to the development of society. Thus, it must always be organized and carried out with full respect for human dignity and must always serve the common good. At the same time, it is indispensable that people not allow themselves to be enslaved by work or to idolize it, claiming to find in it the ultimate and definitive meaning of life.” (209) It is on the day consecrated to God that men and women come to understand the meaning of their lives and also of their work. (210)

w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_ben-xvi_exh_20070222_sacramentum-caritatis.html#The_eucharistic_form_of_the_christian_life

Catechism:

2193 “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound . . . to abstain from those labors and business concerns which impede the worship to be rendered to God, the joy which is proper to the Lord’s Day, or the proper relaxation of mind and body” (CIC, can. 1247).

A day of grace and rest from work

2184 Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,"121 human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.122

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.124 

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

2188 In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church’s holy days as legal holidays. They have to give everyone a public example of prayer, respect, and joy and defend their traditions as a precious contribution to the spiritual life of society. If a country’s legislation or other reasons require work on Sunday, the day should nevertheless be lived as the day of our deliverance which lets us share in this “festal gathering,” this "assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven."125

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a3.htm#II

Give God your Sunday and He will repay you ten-fold during the rest of the week. I’ve found it really comes down to trust. You can do it!

I guess our doctors are very holy…no matter how sick you are, you can’t interrupt their Saturday or Sunday! :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s nothing wrong with working on Sunday. For years, I watched people who owned businesses attend 6:30 a.m. Sunday Mass so they could open their restaurant or stores by 9:00 a.m. or 10:00 a.m.

For them, it was a fact of economic life, and also their families - for decades.

Jesus said to render unto Caesar and unto God.

Also, religious orders work and pray - it’s the theme of their lives - practically every day.

Peace be with you.

My Catholic friend attends the Mass daily, from Monday to Friday, plus Sunday. I remember reading somewhere - and don’t quote me on this - that historically, people pick and choose days of attendance. Sure, there were daily Masses, and sure, there were several Catholic churches in close proximity to each other. But even so, the people didn’t attend all of them on the same day or even everyday. Anyway, since my friend attends the Mass daily, she ties Mass into her schedule. It seems to work well for her, and the priests don’t seem to mind.

Here is another line of thought on the matter. Is it fair to your co-workers (with and without families) to have an advantage of more hours to accomplish productivity. This is assuming you have a job where it’s traditional to have off. Should the career be competitive, your ambition may be causing others to leave God and their families to compete with you. As the years go by, you will have to incorporate Sunday work to maintain your status quo & will have no way to increase your productivity and status compaired to the new single career applicants. Dare I suggest you are steeling time and breaking apart other families? It is a slippery slope that pulls our whole culture into workin on Sundays. I’m not blessed to remember when Sundays were mainly for God and Family … But I am so glad to see corporations like Chick-a-FIL-a and Hobby Lobby honor and respect Sunday. If they can operate without that extra work (food and retail) there is hope for more of us God loving, family oriented people to return to those fantasy days I once heard of.

I disagree. Accusing someone of being a home wrecker because they work Sunday is going too far. If the married coworkers feel that they have to compete with the single workaholics than that is their choice. Their wrecked marriages and home life as a result of that decision is to be blamed on the person who made that decision.

One is not stealing time or money away from the married counterparts with families when one works Sunday.

I myself am single and have no family with me. I have no problem working on Sunday after mass.

Definitely not. Work is permitted on Sunday only because of necessity. Theologians traditionally judge that working for more than two without necessity is grave matter. Keep the Lord’s Day Holy or you will not become holy yourself and the whole purpose of your life is to become holy. All you will take with you to the next life is your charity, your love of God.

So, even though you fulfill your Sunday obligation for Mass…you must tell your boss, you can’t perform your duties as a nurse or even a Walmart worker…because you say the whole day must be kept holy? :rolleyes:

Then professions that require working on Sunday should be restricted to Muslims, Jews, and atheists! :eek: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m in agreement with you and Bookcat (although I’m not going to quote bookcat, because bookcat essentially took what is in the CCC, and that is our guide we should reference on the matters, not our own opinions).

We can all discuss the merits of what we believe, but in the end, all we are doing is rationalizing what we are doing, and pretending that because times have changed, God’s word has changed. It seems to be pretty clear, in both the CCC and the writings of Pope Benedict XVI, that work on Sunday is forbidden. It is a commandment, remember?

To counter anyone who may say that what about those who must save lives, like police, firefighters, doctors… of course, these people have a duty to protect the people, and to take a day off and let people’s houses burn down, allow people to get robbed at gunpoint, or to die of a car accident, would just be silly. Of course, they can work. But the CCC points out that exception, but states unnecessary work (work that can be done on another day) — see how fires, robberies and car accidents can’t wait until another day? – compared to doing my homework or getting that final touch put on your presentation for Monday, can wait, or be done at a different time?

And yes, going shopping causes others to work, so that too would be sinful. I know so many people who say that they don’t have time to get stuff done. Maybe so, but that doesn’t preclude one from simply disobeying the fourth commandment… ya know, times have changed. What it means, is that God is asking for His time, and if you can’t find time for Him, He won’t find time for you, in eternity. Give due what God is due. If you don’t have time, make time, He is telling you that you are too busy. Many people can’t accept this… it’s hard, I know, I was there, but once you realize that He created me (and you), one day a week to reflect on His glory isn’t that much. Besides, it’s not like you can’t move, to the point that some Jews used to do, by just sitting in a chair all day, not eating or moving.

No… spend time with family, friends, go volunteer, cook a meal or play some games with your kids. Have a picnic. Enjoy the things you love to do, enjoy God. Read the bible. Spend time in prayer.

It’s amazing to me now that I gave up my Sundays for God to spend with Him, my family, etc. I relax. I’ve been able to reflect on my life and give up things I shouldn’t be doing, that I used to put off until Sunday. Now I see them as unnecessary. I am able to decompress, and the rest of my week is so much better for it. God’s smarter than us so He knows we need to not work sometimes. So now my life with my family and God is better.

I would urge everyone to examine their life deeply and reflect on why they don’t have enough time during the week to do the things they need, because often times we are doing things during the week we don’t really need to do. Sure, some families are soooo busy, their kids are doing 5 sports each, the moms and dads work two jobs, then they have to spend Sunday doing all the chores, shopping, and other work left over on Sunday… maybe it’s time to cut back… Just saying.

I once asked a Priest about this, or rather what I asked was would it be OK to go into work if I was asked to. His response was that if I was asked to go into work it was OK, but it would not be OK to go in otherwise.

Not onky does it “tempt” families to put their focus away from God and family, it causes the whole culture to follow suit. Sure you do not have a “problem” working to compete now as a single person, but eventually, you will be competing against yourself to maintain the “status quo” that YOU have set the standard at. This standard will be acknowledged by your peers and bosses. When a sickness, burnout, or family challenges this time in the future, you will have an adjustment in work hours which will indicate a diminished performance. Deadlines will be meet and you will have more than one master calling you to do more when you have nothing to give. The extra work you are doig now is steeling time, resources, and corrupting the culture.

I like the way you named this “home wrecking” … Religion is about family. God is our Father. Yes, when the father says to rest and we disobey this, a family is wrecked at its foundation. Even as a single, you are part of a greater family, and as such there is boundaries to be in that family. I hope you will put down your pride and humble yourself to see how your small actions ripple through a community. I also hope you find the rest God bestows upon you to find value in rest.

Exodus 20:8-11 (Ten Commandments)

“Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.

This is pretty clear. Too bad a lot of posters in Sunday School have the Ten Commandments truncated to say “Keep holy the Lord’s day”. That’s not what God wrote on the tablets with his very finger.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.