Is "gosh" still using the Lord's name in vain?

I had a habit of saying the Lord’s name in vain, and I am currently trying to taming my tongue. Rather than using “Oh my God” I used “Oh my gosh”, or"cheeses" or “jeez”. I almost change my habit, and I am really happy because I thought God finally gives me a way out to escape my sin.

But then, a lot of people had been saying, “the word Gosh is the same thing as God, it’s just a substitute word”. I became disappointed, because I thought God gave me a way so I change my habit, but ended up the same.

Is using substitute words like “gosh” and “cheeses” so we can avoid using God’s name in vain a sin?
(Please note that whenever I said “oh my gosh”, I never meant anything to offend our Lord, it had no connection, it’s more like a habit of the tongue.)

These links should answer your question about taking the Lord’s name in vain. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Is profanity a mortal sin?

The Third Commandment
Using the Lord’s name as a four letter word
“Oh, my God!”?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.