Is guilt tripping a person sinful

To be precise is guilt tripping a priest a sin? Or any person at all just to get what you want?

Edit: By using psychology to make a person feel uncomfortable and guilty

1 Like

Would you explain “guilt tripping”?

Making a person feel guilty.

Like Judas - with his kiss ! :money_mouth_face:

For what reason?

to simply be cruel?

1 Like

To be clear, we’re each responsible for our own emotions. Nobody can “make” anyone feel anything.

That said, if you were deliberately trying to manipulate him for selfish gain, then it would be prudent to confess it.

That is sort of vague.

Do you mean berating someone for wrongs they have done?

1 Corinthians 13 answers that question:

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, [love] is not pompous, it is not inflated,
it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,
it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.

I can’t really describe it sadly… I was lecturing a fellow server about it but I started to question myself if it really is sinful or not.

It’s not sinful, but it could be a little rude. Since we don’t know the circumstances it’s hard to say if it was sinful or not. Just be careful the next time.

Is it merciful? We are to be merciful as God is merciful.

What do you mean no one can make someone feel any way in particular?

What I mean is to use psychology and make him/her feel guilty

A person argued you cannot make anyone feel a certain type of way regardless. Is it our fault for being guilt tripped or manipulated?

Well I can’t argue with that.

I would say that it is. Manipulating another person is trying to get your own way by making a person act against their own will by applying pressure. I would think that guilt tripping is applying emotional pressure in an unfair way.

This is very different from persuading a person, through discussion and argument, to change their mind and agree to do as you think should be done.

4 Likes

Idk whose fault it is for being manipulated

It can be very manipulative.

Edit: and even emotionally abusive. You gotta give us the context.

Well he’s an old bloke that trusts people to much. Sometimes I’ll be honest we take advantage of that and it make me feel guilty now that I did it.

By the way I’m talking about the priest

It is the fault of the person actively choosing to manipulate the other person, possibly by taking advantage of their weakness (emotional or otherwise). Having a weakness is not sinful, taking advantage of another’s weakness is.

1 Like

No. I’m not trying to shift the blame. A person making a hurtful comment of manipulating someone for selfish gain is still at fault.

The idea that we’re responsible for our own emotions is a tenant of a lot of approaches to therapy. Here’s the fastest link that I can pull up on the matter. http://selfcreation.com/how-to-be-happy/who-controls-your-emotions.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.