Is Harry Potter Initiating Children Into Magic, Wicca, Witchcraft & Satanism?

The video in the article posted below claims that the Harry Potter series of books and movies is leading our children into things such as sorcery, curses, black magic, demon possession, witchcraft and satanism:

shatteredparadigm.blogspot.com/2008/07/harry-potter-series-of-books-movies.html

What is your opinion about the material the video presents? Should we let our kids read and watch Harry Potter?

I think the series is fantasy just like Lord of the Rings, as long as you don’t take it seriously it is good fun but there needs to be good parenting along with it.

I would check out what this priest says about HP. His name is Fr. Jim Costigan of the Fathers of Mercy. (Fr. Bill Casey, Superior).

mercyhealing.com/Articles%20Blog/D9BB7030-8140-48E2-A657-25E6B4F24585.html

This a good analysis of the Harry Potter books amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook/2005/07/okay_one_more.html

-Driel

For every possible answer to this question, simply open your CAF search tab and type “Harry Potter.” Nearly everything that could ever be said on the subject … already has. :wink:

Since the Harry Potter books’ only resemblance to Wicca is that it has “magic” in it, and there is NO resemblance to Satanism (unless you look at the VILLAINS)…then NO, it’s not! That being said, there are people out there who are gullible enough not to be able to tell the difference between fact and fiction. Those people should not be reading Harry Potter.

Harry Potter is a fine to read for FUN! Really, unless you also ban “Lord of the Rings”, “Narnia”, and all the other umpteen million books that contain “magic”…then banning Harry Potter is pointless imnsho. Harry Potter is modern yes, but just because some books are classic doesn’t make them any better (morally)

:amen: This has been done to death. Got tired of promoting your website in the Back Fence and moved to Family now? Not get enough of a rise out of people over there with all your alien questions? It’s getting tiring. :rolleyes:

To answer the title of your OP, no, absolutely not.

Agree 100% Quit looking for the Devil everywhere and look toward Christ.

OP Are you Baptist or Catholic?

Joe

Please! It’s a fantasy children’s book series and doesn’t pretend to be anything else! If you really want to get worked up about something maybe worry about all the sex filled shows on prime time tv. That’s not even mentioning the violence factor either. :rolleyes:

I am a former pagan. I can tell you right off that the Christian hysteria against Harry Potter is a source of great amusement among pagans. What goes on in the HP books is nothing like neo-paganism in real life. HP is just a story - no more, no less.

Unfortunately, some immature pagans like to feed into the fear by lying and saying to Christians, “Yes, HP started me on the path to the Dark Side!” then going off and laughing about it to their friends. Thus the myth is perpetuated. :frowning:

The witch-craft wasn’t as concerning to me as the fact that Harry began to do what is considered evil for a good outcome. That is never Ok if your Catholic. Another thing that concerns me is that far to many people think that it is only evil if it is obviously evil. The devil would never get very many people to join him in hell if he were jumping out and explained how evil he is. Slowly our children’s senses are being dulled. Pagans can laugh all they want. The Catholic Church is very clear on witchcraft and right from wrong. A true Catholic doesn’t care about what others think they care about what God thinks.

What she said!

It’s a young adult fantasy series, nothing more! It has nothing to do with any kind of theology.

Just get past it. I recommend reading Lewis’s lovely pro-Christian Narnia books!

This is where I would steer you children if you’re really worried about them becoming too interested in magic. :eek:

A lot of people get angry when you simply tell them the truth.

I’ve got two words to describe the idea that Harry Potter is initiating our children into evil:

STOO

and

PID !!

I started reading HP when I was in fifth or sixth grade, probably about ten years ago or so. Then and now, they have remained a great fictional series, but nothing more. Any of this “HP leads to witchcraft” stuff is baloney.

My children began reading HP when it first came out, when they were in middle school. They still love to read those books although they are now in college. I would say the books are fine, just fantasy about good vs. evil. My children certainly haven’t gone into witchcraft!

Could you give some examples of this? Because most of the alleged examples I’ve seen don’t hold water. I think that a serious case can be made that this happens a few times in the last book, but in the end I think it’s a misreading. For instance, with regard to Harry’s use of the “Cruciatus Curse” in defense of Prof. McGonagall, Rowling herself has commented that this was a morally flawed action, but understandable given the circumstances. I don’t have a problem with this. Good but flawed people may easily slip over into doing morally questionable things under extreme circumstances. The fact that Rowling portrays this doesn’t mean that she thinks it’s OK. Oddly enough, I think what most people find objectionable in this work of fantasy is its realism (with regard to moral choices). The decision to defraud the goblin would be another example, I think–it is a mistake to assume that this is portrayed as the right decision. The point is not that one can do intrinsically evil things for a good purpose, but that under extreme circumstances it is hard to tell which actions are intrinsically evil and which are simply less than ideal.

The debate in contemporary America about waterboarding is a good example of this. I find it funny that many of the folks who object to Rowling’s complex characterizations as morally ambiguous have no problem defending the government’s right to do some pretty dubious things in the name of “fighting terrorism.” Refusing to acknowledge that there are gray areas doesn’t generally make us more morally sensitive–it makes us less, because we think that if something isn’t clearly and obviously evil it must be OK. In fact there are a lot of things that may be justifiable under certain extreme circumstances but which no government or other group of people should be able to do on a regular basis.

I see a lot of good old-fashioned casuistry being rejected by “conservatives” these days under the false label of “relativism.” As Chesterton said, one doesn’t need to know exactly where the line between North and South America should be drawn on the Isthmus of Panama in order to know that the two continents are separate. It seems to me that many “conservatives” take the approach that if some government has decreed that the line is drawn in a certain place (the present political border between Panama and Columbia, for instance), that settles the question and any attempt to question this amounts to “relativism.”

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.