Is he still the godfather?

My brother-in-law and his ex-wife were our youngest daughter’s godparents back in 2005. They divorced in 2006, suddenly as brother-in-law’s mistress turned out pregnant. After living with his mistress/girlfriend for a few years, they now got married in a civil ceremony (as he doesn’t want to pursue an annulment) last week. My question: is he still our daughter’s godfather, and when she does her First Communion/Confirmation can he still be her sponsor? From where I’m standing he’s no longer a ‘Catholic in good standing with the Church’ because he never tried to get an annulment from his first marriage, and his current marriage was outside the Church, but according to my mother-in-law he’s a baptised, confirmed Catholic who goes to church every Sunday and receives H Communion (very liberal priest who ‘understands’ him), so it’s okay to be her sponsor…What’s the Church’s line on this?

This link should explain the requirements for being a godparent. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
What are the requirements for godparents?**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.