Is Heaven an already existent higher-ordered world that can put earthly science to shame?

Earthly technology amazes me, unlike earthly science. Is there anybody who can design and manufacture an automated toothpick making machine? Imagine how many engineers is would take to mass produce all the “junk” we have around us. Think about it; what is more difficult: Designing a computer chip or making the machine to manufacturer them? In all honestly, I doubt that I have the innate wit to manufacture the packaging!

Now, who do you know who can design and build the specialized machinery needed in our modern world?

Surely, there has to be a higher-ordered world above us!

God gives us the knowledge to build and create or invent.

And if we ask Him, he will give us the wisdom to use what we have created…

Example: Mankind has the knowledge to build and create things that use atomic energy… Pray that God gives us the wisdom to use atomic energy for the benefit of Mankind, not it’s destruction.

I’m using a MacBook–state of the art technology at my fingertips. Hardly proof, by itself, of any higher-ordered world above us.

What’s this got to do with moral theology?

I am new to this, but will post what came to my mind when I read it. God did indeed give mankind the ability to invent/perfect those things that have been made. Psalm 8 gives me the only reason I need to (for me) understand His reasoning. If He did this for the love of the mankind He created, I can only imagine a higher ordered world he might possibly have waiting for us. But in all reality, the fact we are with Him is all we need or ever will need. :slight_smile:

Everyone knows that our technology came from aliens. No need for any higher-ordered worlds.

[quote=“Robert Sock”]Earthly technology amazes me, unlike earthly science. Is there anybody who can design and manufacture an automated toothpick making machine? Imagine how many engineers is would take to mass produce all the “junk” we have around us. Think about it; what is more difficult: Designing a computer chip or making the machine to manufacturer them? In all honestly, I doubt that I have the innate wit to manufacture the packaging!

Now, who do you know who can design and build the specialized machinery needed in our modern world?

Surely, there has to be a higher-ordered world above us!
[/quote]

I hate to break it to you but earthly science IS THE REASON we have all this technology that amazes you so much. Science is responsible for the water you drink, the food you eat, the car you drive, the medicine that keeps you healthy, the computer you wrote this post on, everything. We design and build the machines that make other machines and build what we design but this is a process that took decades to get to this level. If it wasn’t for science we’d still be living in the dark ages and the average life expectancy would be about 20-30 years.

It almost sounds to me like you’re spitting in the face of the very thing that allows you to live what would be considered a lavish lifestyle compared to those who only live a few hundred years ago.

So really what is it about science that doesn’t impress you very much? What reason could you POSSIBLY have for wanting to put science to shame as stated in the title of your thread?

Alexander Graham Bell said after the invention of the Telephone that the idea came from God.

In the book of Genius God said “Let us make man in our image”… We are the only part of God’s creation that creates… A gift given to us by our creator… I haven’t seen dogs, cats, or other animals create or invent… If they have, please let me know.

How many scientist do you personally know? Do you know anybody who actually invented any specialized machinery? Do you know anybody with the innate wit that would allow them to build a “simple” toothpick machine? Do you think a group of college professors could sit down together and design one?

Does the phrase “she blinded me with science” have any special meaning to you?

[quote=“Robert Sock”]How many scientist do you personally know? Do you know anybody who actually invented any specialized machinery? Do you know anybody with the innate wit that would allow them to build a “simple” toothpick machine? Do you think a group of college professors could sit down together and design one?

[/quote]

This is idiotic.

I don’t personally know any scientists but I can read papers and journals those papers have been published in that have been reviewed by their peers.

I don’t personally know anyone that invented specialized machinery but I can sure go look up patents for said machinery and see who came up with it and then go find a name and address and then go talk to that person about how they came up with whatever it is they invented.

The toothpick making machine was invented in the 1800’s. I’m sure someone could figure it out, and if they couldn’t they could find blueprints to make one.

And finally yes, I do think a group of college professors could sit down and design one if they had some sort of engineering knowledge.

It’s a song by Thomas Dolbey from 1982?

Science is not blind as you say. If it wasn’t for science we’d still be living in the dark ages which really was a blind time in human history.

Alexander Graham Bell said after the invention of the Telephone that the idea came from God.

Good for him but that doesn’t invalidate science.

Having the blueprints would not be allowed because we are concerned with innate wit.

I’m not entirely sure what you’re getting at here. This is the information age, just about anything is available to anyone at the push of a few buttons. If people are supposed to figure out eveything for themselves, like how to make toothpick machines then you completely invalidate the entirety of human knowledge and experience. We pass along knowledge in the form of books and papers and experience to the next generation so they can build and improve upon the work already done by previous generations.

To say that people need to have something called “innate wit” to possibly re-invent the same thing over and over again is utter non-sense because that’s not how a society works in reality.

Also you still have yet to actually answer my questions.

My apologies, what were your questions for me?

My apologies, what were your questions for me?

I was wondering why it seems like want to put science to shame as it says in the title of your thread and what it is about science that doesn’t impress you very much?

I believe all knowledge comes from God in Heaven. All is already known by God. How God imparts his knowledge to us human beings is a mystery, but he does do it.

I believe all knowledge comes from God in Heaven. All is already known by God. How God imparts his knowledge to us human beings is a mystery, but he does do it.

Actually knowledge isn’t a mystery. We learn and pass our learned information from one generation to the next. We learn about our world and how to build things based on science. People take those scientific findings and find ways to use them to create something useful that society can use. In the dark ages there was no learning and the human population in Europe was essentially static from one generation tot he next with no advancement. If you take away science and education you take away our ability to pass on what we’ve learned to our children.

Maybe I’m reading to much into it but if I may be so bold it almost sounds like you want to prevent knowledge from being passed on from one generation to the next and rely on “God” to provide for the human race? Maybe even eliminate learning from the world? The only reason we even have the population numbers wer do today is because of our infrastructure that we were able to create because of science. I might be off base here but that’s kind of what I’m getting out of that.

I guess we differ a little. I would say that learning is an illusion . . . that God knows all, and he imparts what he will on the human race. All knowledge belongs to God! In heaven, all “science” is known by God alone. In heaven there will be no need for learning.

[quote=“Robert Sock”]I guess we differ a little. I would say that learning is an illusion . . . that God knows all, and he imparts what he will on the human race. All knowledge belongs to God! In heaven, all “science” is known by God alone. In heaven there will be no need for learning.
[/quote]

Yeah I’d definitely say we differ a little on this. :slight_smile:

The problem I see here though is that we’re not in heaven (if such a thing even exists). Since we’re on earth there is a need for learning if we want to keep advancing as a species.

As I stated before, Alexander Graham Bell gave credit to God for his invention.

Samuel B. Mores also grave credit when he sent his first telegram from Baltimore to Washington…

The early inventors were not so full of pride as maybe our current generation of inventors / scientist…

However, on the medical front: I would say over 80% of the doctors acknowledge that God has guided their hand to make healing possible… Other doctors will say “I am just a binder of wounds, God is the healer”

God is the creator of all… He created humans and gave them a gift… Some acknowledge where the gift came from, others don’t…

Your comment doesn’t make any sense. Science is the very reason that technology exists, not the other way around.

Without the science, there would be technology.

Without science, you wouldn’t have a computer or the internet, in which to condemn science in an online forum. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.