Is hell actually fire?

I was watching one of those videos on YouTube about people going to hell, heaven and purgatory and coming back. I scared me quite a big because I thought that hell didn’t have fire but it was eternal separation from God (not literally fire). Also do you guys think that these kind of videos are real or do you think they are just hoaxes?

1 Like

Yes it is fire which is why Jesus referred to Gehenna.

3 Likes

I’m not sure exactly what you mean, but there isn’t actual video of Hell shot by someone who has been there and seen it, so any video that you see purporting to show Hell (or Heaven or Purgatory) is coming from the filmmaker’s imagination of what he thinks it might look like.

6 Likes

IV. Hell

1033 We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: “He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.” Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren. To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called “hell.”

1034 Jesus often speaks of “Gehenna” of “the unquenchable fire” reserved for those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost. Jesus solemnly proclaims that he “will send his angels, and they will gather . . . all evil doers, and throw them into the furnace of fire,” and that he will pronounce the condemnation: “Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire!”

1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, “eternal fire.” The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

Catechism of the Catholic Church

6 Likes

No, what I mean is some people tell stories saying “I went to heaven and came back” and things along those lines and they seem very believable but I don’t know if they are true.

We have another thread going on right now about whether people believe in other’s “near death experiences” (NDE’s), which would include claiming to see Heaven or in some cases seeing Hell or Purgatory. We have no way of knowing if they are true or not, although sometimes the person’s life or outlook is greatly changed by whatever they saw, so it obviously was very real to them and it affected their behavior.

We do not base our Catholic beliefs on whatever someone says they saw during an NDE, so it really doesn’t matter. If God wants to show you something, He will.

Here’s the current NDE thread. This topic comes up a lot on CAF, there are a lot of old locked threads on it too.

separation from God feels like burning in fire?

Not sure of anything, but I am sure of how Jesus describes Hell, over and over again, using the same words each time … “there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth” … fire enough for me!

In my personal opinion, near death experiences are exactly that and only that, NEAR death, not a DEATH experience, only a handful of humans have ever experienced coming back from the dead. If that experience brings that individual and those around him or her closer to God, then, great experience! Put too much in the experience itself and forget about God? No bueno!

1 Like

There is also pious tradition that points to hell being a cold gray nothingness. Dante’s depiction is of a cold place.
Others consider the burning to be the unrequited longing for love which is forever out of reach. Awful to contemplate.

3 Likes

When the children of fatima saw hell - they said it was filled with fire - people were screeching in pain

1 Like

I defer to the catechism, however, I think it possible that the “fire” of hell may be God’s way of communicating a state simply beyond our temporal ability to understand. A state which is so painful, so destitute, so excruciatingly unbearable, that being engulfed by fire is the only thing that our feeble, small, limited minds can come close to comprehending with respect to hell.

10 Likes

I would add that Hell being the opposite of Heaven must be filled with despair, confusion, and bitterness.

3 Likes

This is what the Catholic Encyclopedia has about the fire of hell:

The poena sensus, or pain of sense, consists in the torment of fire so frequently mentioned in the Holy Bible. According to the greater number of theologians the term fire denotes a material fire, and so a real fire. We hold to this teaching as absolutely true and correct. However, we must not forget two things: from Catharinus (d. 1553) to our times there have never been wanting theologians who interpret the Scriptural term fire metaphorically, as denoting an incorporeal fire; and secondly, thus far the Church has not censured their opinion. Some few of the Fathers also thought of a metaphorical explanation. Nevertheless, Scripture and tradition speak again and again of the fire of hell, and there is no sufficient reason for taking the term as a mere metaphor. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm

The pain from being separated from God is called the “pain of loss”.

2 Likes

It’s bad. It’s hot. It’s forever. Fueled by 93 Octane and there’s no oil shortage in sight. :fire:

Apparently, Satan only buys Premium at the pump.

2 Likes

The videos are almost certainly 100% genuine. There’s a lot of video footage actually shot in hell.

4 Likes

I tried filming back in '68. But my film melted.

4 Likes

Many mystics have said fire is the closest explaination of the feeling felt while in ecstasy, that is, filled with the fire of God’s love. I expect the fires of hell to be the same, but whereas the mystic welcomes the presence of God, the condemned despises it and rejects it with their whole being. The reality of God and their willful separation is what causes the fires of God’s love to cause the condemned pain whereas the saint in heaven experiences naught but bliss…

2 Likes

Not to mention the d*mned souls using their hell phones to take hellfies.

2 Likes

Dante Alighieri is that you?

1 Like

It’s best seen by Hell-icopter.

4 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.