Is hell real?

I know what I think but a friend of mine has asked: 'is hell real?

If hell is not real then God forces people to be with him against their innermost desires.

Jesus seemed to think so. He spoke about it more than he did about heaven–to warn us to avoid it.

Hell is VERY real - AND eternal.

[size=2]**(Is. 33:11, 14)
***"[M]y spirit shall consume you like fire. . . . On Zion sinners are in dread, trembling grips the impious: ‘Who of us can live with the consuming fire? Who of us can live with the everlasting flames?’" *

Mark 9:47–48
"It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, where the worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched."

Matt. 25:31-34, 41, 46
"He will separate them one from another. . . . Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. . . .’ Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels . . .’ And these will go off to ETERNAL punishment, but the righteous to eternal life"Luke 3:16-17
"He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fan is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn in UNQUENCHABLE fire"

(2 Thess. 1:6-9)
"For it is surely just on God’s part to repay with afflictions those who are afflicting you. . . . at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven with his mighty angels, in blazing fire, inflicting punishment on those who do not acknowledge God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of ETERNAL ruin, separated from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his power."

[/size]

Yes, hell is real and in one way more real than the world we live in because it is eternal. Eternal Hell is very real.

Hell yeah, it is!

I hate it when people say hell isn’t in the bible lol at them.

Jesus spoke nearly 2x as much about Hell than he did about Heaven during his earthly ministry. It is the just punishment for those who have rejected God and his Christ.

A Christian’s greatest fear is to be eternally separate from God, so they reside with God in heaven.

A Heathen’s greatest fear is to find out there really is a God, and face the reality of His presence in his wrath for eternity.

That said, Christian eschatology is a bit more complicated than just a “hell”

There is Gehenna hell (where sinners go when they die) and the Lake of Fire (detailed in revelation), where after the Resurrection, they are judged, and thrown into the Lake, which is the second death. Both are torturous, and both are just punishment for rebellion against God.

Hell is real if you are talking about the place called Sheol or hades. These are Hebrew and Greek names that refer to the place where all souls go when they die. They could mean underworld or grave. Gehenna was another greek word translated as Hell, which is the valley of Hinnon. Another word translated as Hell is Tartarus where the angels who first left heaven (the fallen ones) are chained in darkness until the judgment. I think the translation of Hell has been over used. And some even call the lake of fire Hell. I am Catholic and I believe we eventually will all be saved, each in their own order. God wills every man to be saved and come to the knowledge of him. I have never real understood the doctrine of Hell in light of God who loves everyone that he sent his son to die on a cross. If he loves me, a sinner of the worst kind, then he must love all those other people who fail to come to the knowledge of Him. The stories about the prodigal son, the lost sheep and the lost coin seem to tell me that Jesus will search everywhere for those who are lost and when they do come back they are still loved and celebrated for coming back. If Hell is real (as in eternal punishment in the fact that it is suffering with no end) then should we turn to God in fear of Hell or run to Him because he loves us. I think we need to reconsider Hell, since Jesus died for our sins and paid the penalty for sins, then is Jesus suffering in Hell forever? Remember the wages of sin is death not eternal punishment in Hell. I believe that Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, and not just of those who were fortunate enough to be given the grace to believe, but the whole world.

Death of body and soul is affirmed by the Church.

Canon 2. If anyone asserts that Adam’s sin affected him alone and not his descendants also, or at least if he declares that it is only the death of the body which is the punishment for sin, and not also that sin, which is the death of the soul, passed through one man to the whole human race, he does injustice to God and contradicts the Apostle, who says, “Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned” (Rom. 5:12).

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ewtn.com%2Flibrary%2FCOUNCILS%2FORANGE.htm&ei=qmG1U7viIpOLqAa0toLYDw&usg=AFQjCNGgMA_lEMTzN6Lmz9Yimto1p25WGQ

What does this have to do with what I wrote?

One could argue that this would be a severe Hell for them.

Jon

I don’t think it really matters what name you give it.

I am Catholic and I believe we eventually will all be saved, each in their own order.

God doesn’t believe this, so why do you?

God wills every man to be saved and come to the knowledge of him.

Yep.

The stories about the prodigal son, the lost sheep and the lost coin seem to tell me that Jesus will search everywhere for those who are lost and when they do come back they are still loved and celebrated for coming back.

Was the prodigal son forced to come back? Or did he CHOOSE to go back and repent? Not everyone chooses to repent and go back, unfortuntaly, just as Christ explains to us (see below). You might remember a little parable Christ told us about a rich man and Lazarus in Lk 16?

“22 The poor man died and was carried away by the angels to be with Abraham.[g] The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was being tormented, he looked up and saw Abraham far away with Lazarus by his side.[h] 24 He called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in agony in these flames.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your lifetime you received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in agony. 26 Besides all this, between you and us a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who might want to pass from here to you cannot do so, and no one can cross from there to us.’” (Lk 16:22-26, NRSV)

If Hell is real (as in eternal punishment in the fact that it is suffering with no end) then should we turn to God in fear of Hell or run to Him because he loves us.

Either would be sufficient, would it not?

I think we need to reconsider Hell,

Or we can just take God’s Word for it and not put our opinions above His.

since Jesus died for our sins and paid the penalty for sins, then is Jesus suffering in Hell forever?

What does that even mean, in regards to the bolded?? Do you think Christ experience eternal absence from God [which is what “Hell” is] because He died for our sins??? That makes no sense on at least a couple levels.

Remember the wages of sin is death not eternal punishment in Hell. I believe that Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, and not just of those who were fortunate enough to be given the grace to believe, but the whole world.

Jesus Christ disagrees with you. I’m going to go with Jesus Christ’s Word. (see below)
And one thing you are forgetting about gifts: we still have the choice to reject them or throw them away. What you are professing is essentially “once saved always saved”. And Scripture could not be more explicitly against that.

[LIST]
*]Once Saved Always Saved?

*] (the last things) We’re All Going to Die!
[/LIST]

This thread has been dormant for 7 years. We are not supposed to resurrect old threads. Even if we wish to discuss the same topic a new thread should be started.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.