Is Hilarion Alfeyev acceptable reading?

For Eastern Catholics? I have recently become extremely interested in Eastern (Byzantine) Catholicism, but, I can’t seem to find much contemporary Eastern Catholic literature. Instead I’ve been reading a lot written by Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev. Is there anything in his writings I should be wary of?

Well he is under the Moscow Patriarch, I personally don’t know anything about him other then that. I imagine he is solid. If you can find anything written by Archbishop Joseph Raya then I gladly recommend those. Sadly I think all his works are out of print…

Met. Ware’s book on Orthodoxy is pretty good as well.

As with all EO hierarchs the views of marriage and on sexuality are not entirely orthodox for Catholics, otherwise, almost all “orthodox” Eastern Orthodox Communion bishops are pretty well theologically sound.

I thought the Russians were, at least Met. Kirill, mostly anti-contraceptives?

It probably is more case by case. I could see Russians in Russia as being more anti-contraceptive then Russians outside of Russia.

You should be aware that Bishop Ilarion of Vien and All-Austria is not a Mitropolit but Bishop.

Oops. My mistake.

Many; maybe even most… but almost all permit some as economia.

Their marriage theology is, from a catholic viewpoint, flawed, but not badly.

Their theology of the body is flawed from a catholic viewpoint, again, not badly, mostly in the area of reproductive theology; they are less thorough in their extension of it.

Their theology of hierarchy and ecclesiology are also slightly flawed from a Catholic viewpoint.

As ong as one is aware of these flaws, most EOC hierarchs are good reads.

The same areas of problem occur in the OOC.

Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev. Is there anything in his writings I should be wary of?
You should be aware that Bishop Ilarion of Vien and All-Austria is not a Mitropolit but Bishop.**

**I think this person is confusing Metropolitan Hilarion of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad with Bishop Hilarion of the Moscow Patriarchate.

They are two different people.**

ILARION

Ilarion (Karpal) is mitropolit of ROZ.

Ilarion (Alfjejev) is bishop of RO church; Vien Austria.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.