Is Holding a Grudge a Sin?

I’m going through RCIA and will go to confession for the first time in the coming months and I’m trying to sort out the things I’ve done that need to be confessed. With that being said, I’ve come to the realization that my tendancy to hold a grudge might be sinful. So is harboring feeling of resentment toward someone sinful?

It certainly is something that wounds our soul and keeps us from forgiving and loving those who are the object of the grudge.

Not sure if it mortal, but I know its something I confess…

God bless w/ your first confession and coming into full communine!

I belive so, we are called to forgive others if we wish to be forgiven ourselves.

That and it’s just not good for you :wink: I rather like how Malachy McCourt put it

Here’s what Jesus has to say (from Matthew 5:21-26)

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

“Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

According to The Lord’s Prayer, you ask to be forgiven AS YOU forgive. So if you hold a grudge and don’t forgive, then you cannot expect to be forgiven for your own trespasses.
God bless you and guide you.

“Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die”

Love that observation, Very astute.

Yes, holding a grudge is a sin. When you hold a grudge you’re refusing to forgive a person. Sometimes it’s because the other person won’t apologize and acknowledge he hurt you. I find those are toughest times when we have to forgive. But God says we have to forgive them anyway. At times like that I think as Jesus did, and I say the person doesn’t know what he did. But even if he did know, God says we still have to forgive. So yes confess it. But then work on learning to not hold grudges, and you’ll never have to confess one again.

What of the ideas that I am learning to turn to is to “leave the past to God’s mercy”

We cant change the past. We cant fix it or fix much of the pain we are responsible for. So we do what we can, then leave it to God’s mercy.

I am learning this one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.