Is holy communion from one priest as good as another?

I have a girlfriend who really likes her priest. She goes as far to say that he is the holiest priest that she knows thus she believes that if she receives communion directly from him instead of a layperson or another priest that she will receive the most grace.

She also says that she really feels God’s presense around him.

She also says that the blessing he gives out are the most potent because he is the holiest.

I would have to admit, he runs a beautiful traditional ceremony and his homilys are well written and get right to the point.

But I am currently going thru the RCIA program and I guess her opinion somewhat troubles me. Is there anything to what she is saying?

I would like to think that it’s God performing these miracles through the priest no matter who he is or whether I happen to like him personally or not. Thanks for your answer.

You are correct, the holiness of the minister does not impact the graces received from the sacrament. When you receive communion you are receiving the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ. The holiness of the priest (or lack thereof) can neither add nor subtract from the grace of receiving Him.

Catechism:

1128 …From the moment that a sacrament is celebrated in accordance with the intention of the Church, the power of Christ and his Spirit acts in and through it, independently of the personal holiness of the minister.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.