Is Homosexuality Genetic?

Is being gay genetic? Folks, that is what gay activitists and leftist scientists are trying to have us believed. They are poisoning the mind of young folks. If they got the general public acceptance, then they can easily push their agenda i.e. same sex marriage, etc. I don’t think it is genetic, but a lifestyle. It takes two (man and woman) to variate genes and produce offspring. If gay people are genetically gay, they, as a subspecies, would die out thousand of years ago. They can’t reproduce themselves. Because they can’t reproduce, evolution has taken over. And they all die out. That is the reality of evolution if we believe in it. Am I right?

MugenOne

I don’t believe they are born gay. God is the author of life. If He is against homosexuality why would He create them?

I don’t think so… I haven’t read anything in the scientific community that has located a genetic path to homosexuality. No “gay gene per-se”. That being said, I speculate that something happens between birth and puberty, but before homosexuality rears itself… I personally believe it is a disorder, as is alcholism, or a person addicted to gambeling… remember, IMO!

That doesn’t transfer then to treating someone with that disorder as less than human or valuable to God… They need our love, help and understanding just as the alcholic or gambelling junkie does…

I believe Christ wants us to help more and judge less… we need to quit going at issues with “Control” in mind and more with “Service” in our hearts…

:twocents:

I think that maybe one half of one percent of homosexuals are born with it (genetic defect). The other 99.5% are homosexual due to a lifestyle choice. Just my opinion.

My opinion on this topic has no value. This fact could only be determined scientifically, and so far no valid scientific study has proved that homosexuality is linked to a certain gene. The two studies that claim to do so are seriously flawed in their method and are not considered valid by serious scientists. There is some evidence that some homosexuals may have been subject to in utero influences, probably hormonal, that affected the deveopment of their sexuality.

Another possibility is gene mutation, damage of the ovum or sperm of the parent (or grandparent) which affected development of reproductive system, including hormonal system. The developing embryo can also be damaged by outside influences - drugs, virus, radiation etc. Either of these are likely as the cause of true hermaphroditism, or errors in correctly assigning gender to newborns which of course leads to gender identity problems later in life.

To say that this or any disorder is present at birth is not the same as saying its cause is genetic. There are many other pre-birth influences that could play a part, but so far no study as definitely established such a cause for the disorder in any or all homosexual persons.

i’m not sure why it matters…

i mean, it seems to me that the tacit assumption being made by those arguing for its biological basis is that if homosexuality is in fact genetic, then that’s somehow evidence for the falsehood of (some aspect of) catholic moral doctrine.

and if that’s the motivation, then focusing on the issue just makes it seem like there’s actually something impotant riding on it. and there isn’t.

Go here for info:

NARTH

CourageRC

SBMinistries

**About as genetic as kleptomania, alcoholism, **
drug dependency, chronic lying, bestiality
etc. My genes made me do it :frowning:

I believe in some cases there may be a genetic predisposition to it, just as some people are geneticly predisposed to some illnesses or other conditions.

But just becuase you have a genetic predisposition does not excuse the behavior. Its just one of the many crosses that such a person must bare.

[quote=john doran]i’m not sure why it matters…

i mean, it seems to me that the tacit assumption being made by those arguing for its biological basis is that if homosexuality is in fact genetic, then that’s somehow evidence for the falsehood of (some aspect of) catholic moral doctrine.

and if that’s the motivation, then focusing on the issue just makes it seem like there’s actually something impotant riding on it. and there isn’t.
[/quote]

It matters to them because it is no longer considered a disorder. It then appeals to our sympathies in the gay agenda march.

[quote=buffalo]It matters to them because it is no longer considered a disorder. It then appeals to our sympathies in the gay agenda march.
[/quote]

well, just because it’s genetic doesn’t mean it isn’t a “dirorder” any more than things like congenital cardiac disorders make heart problems “normal”.

and, at any rate, they deserve our sympathy, don’t they?

[quote=john doran]well, just because it’s genetic doesn’t mean it isn’t a “dirorder” any more than things like congenital cardiac disorders make heart problems “normal”.

and, at any rate, they deserve our sympathy, don’t they?
[/quote]

Those who promote the lifestyle deserve to be rebuffed. Those who are chaste or try to be chaste deserve our support Those who bought the lie deserve our education.

[quote=buffalo]Those who promote the lifestyle deserve to be rebuffed. Those who are chaste or try to be chaste deserve our support Those who bought the lie deserve our education.
[/quote]

fair enough. but that’s presumably or obligation whether or not homosexuality has genetic roots. right?

[quote=MugenOne]Is being gay genetic? Folks, that is what gay activitists and leftist scientists are trying to have us believed. They are poisoning the mind of young folks. If they got the general public acceptance, then they can easily push their agenda i.e. same sex marriage, etc. I don’t think it is genetic, but a lifestyle. It takes two (man and woman) to variate genes and produce offspring. If gay people are genetically gay, they, as a subspecies, would die out thousand of years ago. They can’t reproduce themselves. Because they can’t reproduce, evolution has taken over. And they all die out. That is the reality of evolution if we believe in it. Am I right?

MugenOne
[/quote]

So what if it is? Alot of disorders are genetic: diabetes, cancer, etc. Just because something’s genetic doesn’t mean it’s not a disorder.

One may be genetically predisposed to psychological illnesses, such as manic depression. Homosexuality may very well be one of those psychological illnesses that is genetically linked. However, I’d like to see the scientific evidence for this rather than the less-than-scientific propoganda.

Even if genetic predisposition is likely, we are no more forced to have sex with the same sex than we are forced to have sex with children (as pedophiles are).

The more likely view is that pedophilia and homosexuality have similar “cultural” causes occuring well before age 10.

For example, my mom worked with a gay man that told her his mother died when he was two years old, his father left him with the gay man’s grandmother, who appearantly wanted a girl, so since he was two, the grandmother dressed in in girls clothing. Hmmmmm… ya think cultural influences may have been a factor?

It does not matter if it is genetic. As others have noted, a genetically-based attraction for the same sex no more makes homosexual acts acceptable than a genetic trait for alcoholism makes the alcoholic’s drinking acceptable.

Unfortunately, even normally intelligent people are falling for the lie that the genetic cause changes the moral dimension of homosexual behavior. Get used to hearing this, because homosexual advocates are going to play this card for all its worth.

Scott

Homosexuality used to be listed among psychological disorders, until gay activists lobbied to have it removed. Some pedophiles have taken the same stance, but nobody’s buying it, thank God.

One of the psychologists responsible for actively having homosexuality removed from the list of psychological disorders only three decades ago was a man named Robert Spitzer. He’s changed his views. In Oct 2003, he published a study that shows that “homosexuality” can be cured through “reparative therapy.”

If it can be cured through psycho-therapy, then it seems that it ought not to have been removed from the list of psychological disorders. Doing so three decades ago was a grave disservice to those afflicted with homosexual orientation.

So maybe we should lobby to have it put back on the list.

See more about Robert Spitzer’s study here:

narth.com/docs/evidencefound.html

Homosexuality was always seen as a psychological problem.

The only reason it is not considered one by the American Psychological Association is because gay activists rioted and threathned the members of teh APA who then gave in and removed it from their list. Currently efforts are being made to legitimize pedophilia as well.

The other source of the problem was the Kinsey report which promoted the idea that many people were sexually deviant. However Kinsey was exposed as being biased and a sexual deviant himself whose research was fradulent and highly suspect. The 10% of people are gay figure supposedly comes from him and even then the gay activists misquote him as his number while highly exaggerated was actually lower. The real estimate is actually less than 2%.

Homosexuality is usually due to victimhood of adolescents or from children, not because of any genetic factors but largely because of environmental ones. The media has distorted the actual results of what those who tried to prove a gay gene actually found. They themselves admitted to their scientific peers that they found none and the idea that it was environmentally influenced still stands. To understand this mre, the sexual drive (the desire to engage in sex) IS genetic. However with whom you choose to do it with, how you do it and to what you direct your attention and imagination to when you do so, whether the opposite sex, the same sex, children, infants or animals is a matter of personal choice.

The victimhood I speak of is usually caused by a child being neglected by a parent of the same sex, a daughter desiring to be held by one’s mother and be nutured for example, only for whatever reasons, bad parenting, or unfortunate circumstances, the child as she grows seeks this nuturing, but will get the motherly nuturing more and more confused until it begins to resemble a sexual yearning. The same will be true for boys without teh attention of fathers. Another problem is when the parents do not treat their child according to their gender and reinforcing the beauty of their gender, for example a father telling his daughter how lovely she is or reinforcing what a fine man his son will turn out to be, that is acceptance of the child’s gender and making them feel comfortable in their role. Sometimes this is neglected in say a couple wanted a son, but got a daughter instead or vice versa, and may unintentionally treat the child differently or show no acceptance for the child’s gender, leaving the child to unconsciously behave more like the opposite gender in order to please their parents.

However the problems don’t have to stem from parenting. A child or young teen may be molested or had a sexual encounter with an adult of the same sex who took advantage of them and like Stolkholm syndrome they may hate to think that they have become victims and tell themselves that they are homosexuals and that it was consentual. Indeed many cases of homosexuals state that because of such enounters in their early life they ‘discovered’ they were gay and are happy about it.

There may be other explanations too (such as people feel so sexually repressed that they will lose themselves to whatever opportunity presents itself, for example in prisons) but parenting and sexual encounters with homosexuals are the main reasons. Indeed gay activists know that they cannot give birth and that homosexuality is largely due to envoronmental factors, and so they try to ‘recruit’ to keep their ‘population.’ In fact it was exposed that some homosexual groups distributed phamplets to younger people and children trying to get them to attend gay meetings to learn more about themselves or to find out about any confusing things they are having with their sexuality, and to avoid telling their parents where they were going. It is often said that at these so called meetings is where they try to initiate the pre-teen into the lifestyle usually by another adult.

Adult homosexuals, mostly males, are alwasy more attracted to men younger than they and the more boyish the better, which is why gay men are very concerned with their looks and why there is a disturbing closeness between homosexuality and pederasty. You need only look at the recent scandal in the Church to see this example. Which is why organizations like NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association) exist (there are also lesbian groups) and they are trying to eradicate all age of consent laws and legitimize ppedophilia in much the same manner that general homosexuality has come to be accepted. Though gay organizations try to distance themselves from these groups and even condemn them, they are said to be aware that some of their own memers and some though significant number in the homosexual community may be involved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.