Is homosexuality so strong that it can't be controlled?

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my question. My name is David and I grew up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist (real crazy IFB) church. I eventually left the faith and left the church and exploring Catholicism. The problem is (and was the same problem in my old church) is that I am gay.

According to mortal sin, the sin must:

1. Be a grave matter;
  2. Committed with full knowledge, both of the sin and of the gravity of the offense; and
  3. It must be committed with deliberate and complete consent, enough for it to have been a personal decision to commit the sin

The question that I have is that is it possible for homosexuality to not be a mortal sin in certain circumstances under number three. If a person’s same-sex desire is so strong, can it be that they do not have complete consent over it?

Also, for someone who desires to remove same-sex attractions, but has had no success in any “therapies” that I have gone to, how should I go about removing SSA?

My second question is this: Is same-sex attraction a sin or just the homosexual act?

Thank you,

Hi,

The sexual drive is strong, but not so strong that it can’t be countered—if one acquires the habit of just not going there in one’s mind. Same sex attraction is not a sin in itself. But acting on it is.

This link is an interview I did with a man who became celibate after living several years in a same sex relationship:

chastity.com/article/interview-coming-out-of-the-gay-lifestyle

Living happily is quite possible while remaining chaste. Also see:

couragerc.org/

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.