Is is ok for them to receive Holy Communion and not ok for me?

I join the Catholic church this past Easter.

I’m having a problem with communion who can receive it and who cannot receive it. I’m now living with my boy friend and we share the same bed,I know this is a sin.

My problem comes from a person in our church this person is an alcholic,she encourage her children to drink and when they have sex she sees no problem. She receives communion every Sunday and when the children show up they are over 18 they also receive communion.

This is my question why is it okay for them to receive commion but it’s not ok for me to receive communion.

Hi Isu,

It is not okay for anyone to receive Holy Communion in the state of mortal sin. Sharing the bed with your boy friend is a mortal sin. If a person encourages her Children to have sex when they are not married, this is a mortal sin also. Nothing—absolutely nothing is worth a committing a mortal sin.

Jesus deserves that we put Him above everything and everyone. Ask Him for the strength to be faithful to Him. I will pray also.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.