Is Islam an imitation of the Catholic and Jewish Faiths

My understanding is that the Muslim Faith began in the 7th Century, hundreds of years after Christianity. It holds and mentions many Christian persons and many stories try to parallel those of the New Testament. It reads similar yet not as…well written!! as our Scriptures. I know I’m limited of the Muslim Religion but the little I’ve read and heard seems to imitate our Bible book. Any thoughts to this???

Islam is a confused mixture of Old Testament and New Testament.

Mohammed makes the mistaken claim that St. Gabriel gave him these teachings.

It certainly was NOT St. Gabriel, as Mohammed claimed.

God’s holy angels do NOT teach us another Gospel.

May the Lord’s holy angels assist us in the spiritual warfare we are in today.

I attempted to read the Koran with little success. I did not find it reads like the Bible.

My thoughts are if you believe Christ established the one true Church, why would God attempt to defeat that by introducing another “true” religion 600 years later with a belief system that states the Christ is a prophet and not the Son of God?

Supposedly, Gabriel beat Mohammed until he agreed to learn the new teachings. Angels do not beat humans.

Read Robert Spencer’s book, THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT GUIDE TO ISLAM. It will give you the history in about 200 pages.

I believe Mohammed was influenced by the Jewish concept of monotheism, and adopted some of their traditions. But when Jews refused to recognize him as a prophet/leader, he began fighting them. This is what I learned years ago - I’m sure the internet has plenty of iinteresting info on the history of Islam.

I’m fairly ignorant of the history of Islam as well as the teachings of the Holy Qur’an. A student of mine gave me a copy, which I have not as yet read. I do know, however, that Islam is quite similar to Judaism in certain of its laws, for example, the dietary laws. Further, its conception of a non-Trinitarian G-d is identical to that of Judaism.

My understanding is that Mohammed became versed in Judaism and Arianism (not orthodox). Arianism was still active at that time. The 5 pillars of Islam certainly contained allusions to what he learned about religion, including prayers of the hours, pilgrimages, Hanukkah, etc. These were then modified to become unique such as praying hours facing Mecca (instead of east or west), pilgrimage to Mecca, and Ramadan instead of Hanukkah. The denial of Jesus’s Divinity is common to both Judaism and Arianism, and so also Islam.

Islam is a provable counterfeit religion, it is the product of one man, Mohammed a pagan Arabian, who just used everything familiar to him and encompassed it all into his new invented faith he called Islam, meaning submission.

Mohammed would be familiar with many religions, such as Judaism, Christianity and Zoroastrianism, as there were many of these tribes living throughout Arabia at the time he lived.

Mohammed would eventually plagiarise these faiths, and use parts of them to authentic his own, which is why Muslims have e.g. the same dietary rulesas Jews as well as the obligatory circumcism for all Muslim males. However, circumcism is also performed on women in Islam, as it was an already pre Islamic cultural practice, Mohammed just legitimised it for Islam.

All religious rites and rituals in Islam are taken from pre Islamic pagan practice named as Ramadan, fasting between the ninth Lunar calendar month. religionresearchinstitute.org/ramadan/roots.htm

The belief that there was only one god, was not new to Mohammed, his own pagan god Hubal,known as Allah or “the god” (Al Ilah,) was known as the “greatest creator” god of the Kaaba,which he elevated to be the only god, causing problems with his tribe the Quraish,as they were the stewards of the Kaaba.By proclaiming there to be only one god, the revenue taken from pilgrims rapidly decreased, which did not make Mohammed popular with his peers.
answering-islam.org/autho…ic_allah2.html

It can be clearly deduced that Islam can be classified as an imitation of Christianity and Judaism, but it has other influences too.

Your information about female circumcision is at best partially accurate. Whilst it is true that it was a pre-existing custom that people kept it is not mandated by Islam but is rather a local custom that has kept the force it had prior to Islam. It is by no means universal in the Muslim world and would be regarded as quite strange and unusual in much of it also.

Robert Spencer is very bright and knowledgeable. I like his youtube talks and debates. Thanks

Agreed, but fgm fits very well within Islamic doctrine, as it allows Muslim men to control women. Mohammed may not have “divinely mandated” fgm,but he did not abolish it either, which he could have done.
Consequently,you will not hear any Muslim true to his faith argue against fgm,as his prophet condoned it.

I can think of several Muslim figures who argue against it - it is also illegal in a number of majority Muslim nations. I know this may upset the prejudices you seem to wish to confirm regarding Islam however.

What many of those who wish to damn Islam do not understand is that Islam inculcates local culture into it. Female “circumcision” is a good example. Some cultures do this with the belief that it will prevent the girl/woman from seeking sexual pleasure outside of marriage. One of the most shameful things that a woman can do in some cultures is to commit adultery against their husbands, so this procedure is done to protect against such an event. The pleasure of sex is meant for the man, not the woman (think of the 72 virgins for martyrs) so there is no consideration about her pleasure. It is a barbaric act, to be sure but the world is still a very barbaric place.

Islam is not a theologically complex religion. You will never see the deep arguments and questions in Islam that you see in Christianity. That is one of the reasons why it spread so easily, because it didn’t require much from converts. Most times, they simply grafted the Islamic concept of God onto their own religious figures and beliefs, much as the Romans took the Greek mythology and religion and made it their own. Islam is not for the intellectually sophisticated. It is easily apparent that Islam is a cobbling of Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, along with local culture common to that time. Islam hardly possesses any of the characteristics of true revealed religion such as Judaism and Christianity and is as fractured today as the protestant sects of Christianity.

You have rather hung yourself by your own petard there in the last line I would say. Whilst I would agree largely with many of your points that could have been better thought out.

I don’t really see why. Islam may have adapted elements of Judaism and Christianity while inculcating the local cultural norms of harsh, nomadic life but it still fails to rise to the level of achievement of man’s relationship with God that was ultimately perfected with Jesus nor does its adaptations suffice in establishing Truth. The differing sects of Islam are no different than the sects of protestantism, with two sects of the supposed same “religion” espousing two completely contradictory positions on the same issue, something that isn’t tenable in the pursuit of trying to truly know God.

And where do the differing sects of Protestantism arise from?

Disobedience and heresy?

Do the differing sects of protestantism believe the dogmas and doctrines that we Catholics do? Just because they sprouted off of the trunk of the tree doesn’t mean that they possess the fruit of knowledge. It is the same with Islam. Islam believes in the supremeness of God but of His Son says (paraphrasing) God does not begat nor is he begotten. As I said, Islam, like protestantism, takes some and leaves others.

The problem with this approach is that our own faith can also be seen as a heresy or distortion of truth by others and also they might ask why we particularly are the true Christian trunk from which all other branches spring. Also a Muslim apologist might well point out your argument involves special pleading for our Church.

Islam is more like Judaism than Christianity. It gives a biography of Jesus that would be compatible with Judaism.

Its Christian elements are mainly from pseudo-Christian/Gnostic/Nestorian sources.
That is to say, it is a direct contaditction to the idea of the Incarnation. The magic aspects of Jesus the miracle worker is stressed, and the reason for those miracles)the divinity of Jesus) is denied.

The differences between Islam and Judaism on the other hand, center on whether Ishmael is the son of promise, or whether Isaac is the son of promise. Arabs, the sons of Ishmael, naturally assume that the title goes to Ishmael, and resent bitterly that Jews do not get behind them. Jews have always believed that they are the Chosen People, as the Bible says that they are.

Muslims respond that the Bible has been corrupted.

Which of course logically leads to the problem that God couldn’t preserve earlier divine revelation and yet the Q’uran is not subject to those problems. You can get out of that trap via creative reasoning but none of the escapes are very convincing.

Suffice it to say that Islam is not a Biblical religion. It is a religion that justified Arab power through justifying Ishmael as the chosen son of Abraham.

I personally think that the greater part of the religion was formed after the great Arab conquests rather than before. The account of Mohammed receiving the message from Gabriel is a mythic account, and , like the writings of the Koran itself, it is merely a retelling of the myths and legends that abounded in the ancient world from the perspective of justifying the Arab power that arose.
It is not that Mohammed is not a real historic person, but that, like Daniel Boone, or Johnny Appleseed, his life has been mythologized, not randomly, but always with the goal of convincing the peoples of the ancient Mediterranean cultural sphere that the Arab Empire is a work of the will of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.