Is Islam responsible for 9/11?

Is Islam as a religion responsible for inspiring the attacks? Or was it a gross misinterpretation of Islam by the perpetrators? Is Islam an inherently terroristic religion?

• Yes
  • No
  • I don’t know

0 voters

Um, because the Catechism of the Catholic Church explicitly states that Catholics and Muslims together worship the same God, so what you just posted is error? Hmmmm

841 The Church’s relationship with the Muslims . “The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.”

13 Likes

I’d prefer to be the Great Velvet but will settle for satin . . .

23 Likes

I think the main problem is mainly that the terrorists subscribed to a very puritanical sect called Wahhabi. The second problem is that there are verses in the Koran that support aggressive jihad against non Muslims.

I’ve read some of the Koran, including those holy war verses. It’s a very disturbing book.

9 Likes

Islam is not a dangerous religion. Only certain interpretations of it. The only violent Muslims are those who interpret the Koran far more literally than a fundamentalist Protestant interprets the Bible.

Islamic extremism is followed by about 0.00001% of Muslims and that is the type of Islam that causes all the strife and sadness including 9/11 and the genocide of Christians by ISIS. The vast majority of Muslims follow a version that is not at all dangerous. I’m sorry but 51 Muslims were fatally shot in a mosque in the worst Mass shooting in my country’s history earlier this year just because they were Muslim.

5 Likes

If I click Yes in the poll, does that mean I am answering Yes to all 3 questions? Next time, ask one question for the poll.

To answer as best I can, I believe that it is possible for a person or persons to be responsible for acts. I am not sure if it makes sense to say that a religion, per se, can be responsible for anything.

3 Likes

And the thousands of people around the world killed in Muslim violence - not just 9/11 - are no less dead for it supposedly being just 0.00001 percent.

8 Likes

What does this have to do with the Islam discussion? Nothing.
Also, nobody is saying anything about “saved”. The question is whether we worship the same God.
Kindly stay on topic.

1 Like

You can’t blame the Irish civil war on Christianity, even though the divide appears to be Catholic and Protestant. People are always ready to take their scriptures out of context, to justify what they want to do.

It is not guns or religion that kill, it is people.

1 Like

Islam is now and always has been a hostile force against Christianity. Despite the secularism of most western governments, they still overwhelmingly view Europe and America as Christian nations and a Christian people and their ultimate goal is the conversion of all men to what they believe is the true revelation of God.

“The story must not be neglected by any modern, who may think in error that the East has finally fallen before the West, that Islam is now enslaved — to our political and economic power at any rate if not to our philosophy. It is not so. Islam essentially survives, and Islam would not have survived had the Crusade made good its hold upon the essential point of Damascus. Islam survives. Its religion is intact; therefore its material strength may return. Our religion is in peril, and who can be confident in the continued skill, let alone the continued obedience, of those who make and work our machines? … There is with us a complete chaos in religious doctrine… We worship ourselves, we worship the nation; or we worship (some few of us) a particular economic arrangement believed to be the satisfaction of social justice… Islam has not suffered this spiritual decline; and in the contrast between [our religious chaos and Islam’s] religious certitudes still strong throughout the Mohammedan world lies our peril.”
― Hilaire Belloc, The Crusades

As the west continues to lose it’s mooring to our Christian past, the spiritual strength of Islam will continue to rise and we will once again be on the defensive. 9/11 was just one skirmish in a 1400 year long war against the Mohammadan heresy.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Yes, but remember on 9/11 a mere 19 extremists killed as many Americans as the whole Imperial Japanese Navy did on December 7th, 1941.

That 0.00001% is VERY dangerous.

4 Likes

America bombed Afghanistan, and tens of thousands died, I bet most of those who died had nothing to do with 9/11. We had the Second Gulf War on the pretext of chasing after WMDs, tens of thousands died. George Bush said he was waging a Crusade against terrorism, and said God bless America as the bombs dropped.

If America was truthfully concerned about getting rid of WMDs, they should look in their own back yard first, that is where most of these weapons are.

And as Christians we are supposed to love all our neighbours as we love ourselves, we can do nothing greater, we are to love and pray for our enemies.

4 Likes

The great majority of Muslims are not terrorists but the religious-political system known as Islam has supported, even sanctioned terrorism, war, repression, slavery from the very beginning, from it’s founder. The canard “but for Wahhabism” is a FALSE trope,

Yes, Muslims worship the One True God, but they have a fatally flawed understanding of Him. Islam is “the right channel but VERY bad reception”.

3 Likes

It really doesn’t matter how I vote - my opinion does nothing to affect who was responsible.

1 Like

Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance, and a fatwa against anyone who says otherwise. :smirk:

Honestly, it was historically and traditionally a violent religion, like Judaism was in the time of Joshua. And while violence was never preached by Christ, Christianity had its era of being a violent religion. Now, it would seem that most Muslims are more pious than violent. It remains to be seen if in the next generation if they can follow the teaching of Mohammed in a modern context, with out following the actions.

A fatwā is nothing more than a non-binding legal opinion on a point of Islamic Law; issued by a qualified jurist (a ‘Mufti’). I stress…NON-BINDING…bereft of legal force…an opinion…not a judgement…summat that can be ignored with impunity!

1 Like

I think it might be a bit more than 0.00001%.

From this article: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/08/09/muslims-and-islam-key-findings-in-the-u-s-and-around-the-world/

8 Likes

This is actually a grave misrepresentation of Islam, the Catechism says that (like Jews and anyone else) by the Sacrifice of Calvary, and Graces reserved to God alone, they may be saved, that said, they believe in the God of Abraham, but they don’t believe the God of Abraham to be who we know him to be. Islam’s teachings (aside from the frightening and lust-filled concept of heaven) teach that there are no moral boundaries that mustn’t be crossed when it comes to “infidels” (anyone who isn’t Muslim) and so in their mind they are perfectly morally capable of killing us, or lying to us if it helps them to get us to become Muslim. For more information please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pj-QPlN2CU

7 Likes

The quote I posted is directly from the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC 841). It is in the quote box.

I said, “The Catechism of the Catholic Church explicitely states that Catholics and Muslims together worship the same God.”

The quote I posted, directly from the Catechism, says, “Muslims…profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.

Not seeing where I’m wrong, except in your mind apparently. Sorry.
Unless you mean the Church wrote the Catechism wrong, in which case, please take it up with the Magisterium.

I also didn’t include anything about who’s saved and who isn’t. Why you are reading all kinds of extra stuff into my post is beyond me. Maybe you meant to reply to someone else?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.