Is Islamic Law Sexist, or Chivalrous?

In another thread we were talking about how a woman’s testimony, as a witness in a trial is only half that of a man’s according to Islamic Law.

One of our Islamic brothers on the board suggested the idea that it was done to protect Muslim women from the hardships of a trial.

I also brought up the idea of inheritance and that women stand to gain very little of family inheritance.

What does everyone think? Is Islamic Law sexist, or chivalrous?

Also, let’s avoid vitriol and finger pointing. Let’s just see what the law says and how it is interpreted. We are all better served if we don’t get into name calling and finger pointing.

Women have the right to own/operate a business. This Islamic law goes like this: in a business transaction a Muslim woman has to have another woman with her as a witness on the chance that the other person might try to cheat her. If it goes to court then the other woman would be her witness and would back up her side of the story. In a criminal, civil, divorce, whatever court the testimony of a woman is the same as that of a man. This law came as a mercy to women because at this time in Arabia women were treated like cattle and not educated. When Islam came and freed them, they went into the job market to support themselves. The job market at the time was being a shop owner or a merchant. Women did not know anything about business and the men would try to take advantage of them. This law helps protect them.Even in today’s society men still try to scam women in business.

wa salam

[quote=fatuma]Women have the right to own/operate a business. This Islamic law goes like this: in a business transaction a Muslim woman has to have another woman with her as a witness on the chance that the other person might try to cheat her. If it goes to court then the other woman would be her witness and would back up her side of the story. In a criminal, civil, divorce, whatever court the testimony of a woman is the same as that of a man. This law came as a mercy to women because at this time in Arabia women were treated like cattle and not educated. When Islam came and freed them, they went into the job market to support themselves. The job market at the time was being a shop owner or a merchant. Women did not know anything about business and the men would try to take advantage of them. This law helps protect them.Even in today’s society men still try to scam women in business.

wa salam
[/quote]

What time period are you talking about when you say “at this time”?:confused:

In Islam men taking care of women is like theis: you know the image of the Roman Emperor who is lying back while the grape girl is feeding him? Well in Islam the woman is the emperor and the man is the grape girl. When the father dies, the man has to be a ‘grape girl’ for his mother, unmarried sisters, wife, widowed/unmarried aunts, and grandmother…any woman who he is mahran to that needs to be taken care of. this is why he gets most of the inheritances money, the daughter also gets an inheritance but she gets to keep hers all to herself and when she gets a job, that all her money is hes too while the man’s money belongs too all of them. It is grounds for divorce for a woman if her husband is not keeping her in the style she is accustomed too. You might say this is wrong but we believe that on the Day of Judgment God will ask these men what they did for their female relatives because this is a commandment. You could say this is sexists: towards the men.

wa salam

the time of the prophet(saw) 640 I think?

wa salam

I hope that helped clarified that.

wa salam

[quote=fatuma]In Islam men taking care of women is like theis: you know the image of the Roman Emperor who is lying back while the grape girl is feeding him? Well in Islam the woman is the emperor and the man is the grape girl. When the father dies, the man has to be a ‘grape girl’ for his mother, unmarried sisters, wife, widowed/unmarried aunts, and grandmother…any woman who he is mahran to that needs to be taken care of. this is why he gets most of the inheritances money, the daughter also gets an inheritance but she gets to keep hers all to herself and when she gets a job, that all her money is hes too while the man’s money belongs too all of them. It is grounds for divorce for a woman if her husband is not keeping her in the style she is accustomed too. You might say this is wrong but we believe that on the Day of Judgment God will ask these men what they did for their female relatives because this is a commandment. You could say this is sexists: towards the men.

wa salam
[/quote]

Haha its sad (for me, as a man) but its true.

The woman gets to keep her dowry for herself, she keeps her inheritance for herself, she keeps her job money for herself, while the man pays for her and the kids (unless the woman is nice and helps out, but she doesnt have to) and any other women that are alone.

this is one of the reasons that the majority of converts to Islam are women.

Chivalrous :dancing: it protects and honours us.

wa salam

Very good explanation sister fatuma. I believe when people look at this at face value they think it is oppressive. However if you really look at it there is much wisdom behind it.

:slight_smile:

In the Name of Allah,

Assalam o Alaikum sister fatuma,

Masha’Allah, that was an excellent explanation. Jazakum Allahu khairan.

Just to add my vote here (being a female) I think Islamic Law is NOT sexist (atleast not for a woman). It tells my male relatives to take care of me, and I can do whatever I want with my money. Cant get any better than that can it?

Peace,

Urooj.

Thanks, but the real credit goods to you guys :cool: . I’ve learned so much after watching everybody on whyislam, I just repeated what I learned there.

wa salam

In the Name of Allah.

Masha’Allah sister, I have to say this: it’s amazing to see you here… :thumbsup:

May Allah reward you with the good of this world and the next.

Wasalam,

Your sister in Islam,

Urooj.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.