Is Israel arming in Saudi Arabia?

jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=179610
Israel Air Force aircraft dropped off large quantities of military gear at a Saudi Arabian military base a week ago, in preparation for a potential attack on Iran, a number of Iranian and Israeli news outlets have reported.

The unconfirmed report, first published by the semi-official Iranian news agency Fars and the Islam Times Web site, claimed that on June 18 and 19, Israeli helicopters unloaded military equipment and built a base just over 8 km. outside the northwestern city of Tabuk, the closest Saudi city to Israel, located just south of Jordan. All civilian flights into and out of the city were said to have been canceled during the Israeli drop-off, and passengers were reportedly compensated by the Saudi authorities and accommodated in nearby hotels.

The claim follows a report two weeks ago in the London Times Magazine that Saudi Arabia had given Israel permission to fly through a narrow corridor of airspace in northern Saudi Arabia so as to shorten the flight time required for Israeli jets to reach Iran

I have to agree that it would be astounding if Saudi Arabia permitted Israel to build a military base with which to attack Iran. Its almost beyond belief. Saudi Arabia would be inviting a counter attack with every thing Iran has, plus it would be sacrificing its leadership in the Arab community for years or decades to come, not to mention becoming a terrorist magnet for its "betrayal" of another Islamic country.

That Saudi Arabia does whatever the US wants is common knowledge in the region, nothing to be astounded about.

i find this hard to believe also. i had read how they were going to give israel a slim air corridor and even that shocked me.

i would think this would bring repercussions from the rest of the Arab world towards Saudi Arabia also.

of course, Iranians are not Arabs, they are Persians and don't speak arabic, but they are all connected through Islam.

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:4, topic:203484"]
i find this hard to believe also. i had read how they were going to give israel a slim air corridor and even that shocked me.

i would think this would bring repercussions from the rest of the Arab world towards Saudi Arabia also.

of course, Iranians are not Arabs, they are Persians and don't speak arabic, but they are all connected through Islam.

[/quote]

I also find it difficult to believe. However, one should not make light of the fear of Iran that exists in the Sunni Arab states. They have a lot more to fear from Iran than from Israel.

Since the Arab world and Saudi Arabia understand that President Obama is a weak person, maybe they decided to facilitate this happening,” Inbar said.

Since America under Obama is actually quite effectively out of the picture, irrelevant really, Saudi Arabia may well see Israel as a last grasp at any hope. The oppressed Shia of Saudi will always be there as a pretext and a welcome mat for Iran. The House of Saud, with its American military now fully rudderless and directionless under the guidance of a narcissistic Commander-In-Chief who only seeks to be loved, admired and adored by all, may well be feeling vulnerable and desperate.

More ominously, since this news story originated in Iran, this may conversely be a propaganda piece in which Iran is seeking to fully discredit Saudi Arabia in Muslim eyes by making them appear to be in collusion with the Devil in the flesh.

If SA can be believably portrayed as a puppet of the 'Great Satan' and as being literally in bed with the 'Little Satan', then all the Saudi petrol-dollars being pumped out of the kingdom to radicalize Moslems globally will not benefit the House of Saud one iota. In effect, the radicalized will turn against the hand that feeds them ironically as a direct consequence of the content of the Saudi's radical message of vitriol against the Jew. The Iranian hope would be that they will then turn to the rising star of the Islam, the funder of Hamas and Hizbollah, the true enemy of Israel, Iran.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.