Is it a mortal sin to not pray your morning prayers

I didn’t pray my morning prayers this morning out of laziness. I have been making short aspirations thru the day however. I did not confess that I failed to pray in the morning. Was this a mortal sin?

The Church does not require that we pray each morning. Where did you get that idea?

Some booklets include that in the list of sins. I’ve seen some here in Mexico that seem to, omitting morning or evening prayers and not reading the Bible.

No, it is not a mortal sin or any sin. We are not obilgated to pray morning, evening or night prayers.

That’s what I thought.

I struggle with this, too, and I admire your frankness. I don’t think it was a mortal sin but possibly a sin of ommission. Definitely check with your confessor on this as I am not an expert. I do commend you for praying aspirations-you obviously love our Lord very much and are struggling to maintain an active prayer life.

May our Crucified and Risen Savior bless you abundantly this Easter Season. :slight_smile:

No, it is not.

Actually it is an imperfection or venial sin. And if it’s
venial and leads to habitual that can translate to mortal
sin over time called sloth. So you should try to discipline
yourself to make the effort.
Here is an excellent detailed summary of mortal
and venial written for kids:
catholicparents.org/oxcart/Examination%20of%20Conscience.pdf

Pax Christi!

Unless you’re underage and deliberately disobeying your parents, or in a religious order and breaking your vow of obedience.

Otherwise, you’re okay.

But you should pray regularly. Think of it like eating right or getting exercise.

God bless, and lay off the snooze button!:slight_smile:

To miss Morning and Night Prayer is not mortally sinful since lay people are under no Church Law obligation to pray morning and night prayer. Sloth or laziness can have various degrees of seriousness dependant on circumstances.
It is good that you did raise your heart and mind to The Lord during the day with short aspirations and this does mean that you prayed during the day, if not strictly morning and evening. While The Church does not oblige us to pray Morning and Evening Prayers, She does highly recommend it and not for nothing.

newadvent.org/cathen/12345b.htm
The practice of the Church, devoutly followed by the faithful, is to begin and end the day with prayer; and though morning and evening prayer is not of strict obligation, the practice of it so well satisfies our sense of the need of prayer that neglect of it, especially for a long time is regarded as more or less sinful, according to the cause of the neglect, which is commonly some form of sloth.

Sloth or laziness especially spiritual laziness is something to watch, since it can become habitual and lead to more serious situations than missing morning and/or night prayer. If there is any sin in your particular situation you have described, it is more sloth or laziness than the fact that you missed Morning and Night Prayer. Giving in to sloth or laziness deliberately is probably venially sinful, but would need to be discussed with Father in Confession. Sloth is one of the seven deadly sins. The risk might be that since missing your morning and night prayers was not seriously sinful, that missing same becomes habitual and not too long after that the risk of abandoning prayer altogether. And once one abandons prayer altogether, this will lead to more serious situations and especially since, probably, sloth has become habitual.

EWTN - Definition of the Seven Deadly Sins: ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=362724

Forza Milan!

Not praying your morning prayers does not qualify as a mortal sin.

Yours in Jesus and Mary

• MarianCatholic

Its not a sin of any kind.

Unless of course you are clergy or religious and bound to pray the Liturgy of the Hours.

True, but being slothful in our prayer life at minimum is an imperfection. We should strive to stick to our resolutions.

We do need to understand what exactly sloth constitutes - what it is. Sloth itself is one of the Seven Deadly Sins apart from that to which sloth may have lead.

EWTN - Definition of the Seven Deadly Sins: ewtn.com/vexperts/showmes…?number=362724

It’s also worth considering one’s own nature in one’s resolutions. As a habitual oversleeper and someone who is most definitely not a morning person, I find it more attainable to have my prayers in the evening. If one struggles with prayers in the morning, perhaps a more suitable time would help?

What did your confessor say about it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.