Is it a mortal sin to say "As-salamu alaykum"

It’s the only phrase I know in Arabic and it means “peace be with you.” Shortly after saying this, I realized that maybe it might be a mortal sin because Muslims use it often and now my scruples is telling me that I should not have said this because it might bar me from receiving Communion. I do not accept Islam, I just said this phrase without thinking about the consequences.

You did not say the shahadah, so you have not professed anything nor have you sinned.

Why would it? IMHO As-salāmu 'alaykum is no different from namaskar or shalom (aleichem) (Arabic as-salāmu 'alaykum is cognate to Hebrew shālom 'aleiḵem and Syriac shlam 'lekhon, BTW) or konnichiwa or ni hao ma. You didn’t profess Islam, you just said a greeting.

If saying “as-salamu alaykum” is a mortal sin, then most Arab Catholic priests in the Middle East mortally sin whenever they celebrate Mass, remember that. So, no.

Hello AC Milan,

It’s no different than ‘hello’ in Irish; ‘Dia is Mhuire Dhuit’ or God and Mary be with you. It’s a traditional and respectful greeting; not a profession of faith.

And by the way? Excellent choice of screen name. Forza Milan!!! :smiley:

Jenny

While it may be used in “Modern Standard Arabic” (which is more of a “literary language” – e.g, newspapers, radio broadcasts, formal public addresses, etc – IOW not something commonly spoken), that phrase isn’t used liturgically by Christians. Normally what is used is “as-salaam li-jami3akoum” (“peace to all of you”) or sometimes “as-salaamu ma3kum” (“peace be with you”) or "as-salaamu lakum: (“peace to you”).

For example, there was an attempt by Rome to insert the phrase in the thread title into the Maronite liturgy in the early 1970s and that attempt was met with an amazingly loud uproar and total opposition. It was an innovation that was absolutely NOT accepted, neither by the clergy or by the faithful. The attempt was abandoned in very short order.

All true, but because of it’s specific association with the religion, the phrase IS taken differently and not used liturgically by native Christians in the Middle East.

That makes sense, but I wouldn’t want the OP to obsess that because he used the phrase in good faith that he committed a serious sin. I do agree about the association with that religion.

Definitely not a mortal sin .

Quite the reverse .

It could be an act of charity .

I greet my Muslim friends in this way .

Of course not. Arab Christians begin the Hail Mary with it.

youtube.com/watch?v=CZkUB7rHsDc

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.