Is it a mortal sin to say that you hate the Devil?

I am kind of scrupulous but today after coming out of Mass(during Mass I had been battling with obsessive temptation to evil thoughts) and during mass I asked myself if I hated Satan, I guess I knew we aren’t supposed to hate anyone. After Mass I said in my head that I do hate him.

So now I’m worried cause I know deliberate hatred can be a mortal sin, so now I am worried if I can go to mass and receive before I can go to confession since I said I hated someone?

Part of me says it’s the devil and he is already in Hell so hating him is different than if I hated a person here on Earth. Also I tried to reassure myself that this is not a mortal sin since in the St. Michael prayer we say “cast into hell Satan” and if I said that about anyone else that would be a mortal sin(since wshing hell upon one is sinful) but if we’re allowed to say that phrase in the St. Michael prayer we should be allowed to hate satan?

We cannot love Satan. I hate Satan and what he has done to so many souls.
I do not believe that I sin, mortal or venial.

I am a simple soul and this is my humble opinion.

the sin isn’t just about to whom you are hating. ie in your case be it the devil so it okay to hate him. The sin is about the ‘hating’ Should we be ‘hating’ anyone or anything? I don’t know if this is the same for Catholics but I certainly been told it is okay to be angry at God. But it all gets confusing dont it, hate anger etc are generally seen as negatives and if we were angry at another then we are asked to examine more closely or something may be but when we are angry at God it is turned around as a sign of Love because to be angry at God one means one believes in God so anger is a real sign that we believe in God. So the same would surely apply to the devil. If we loved the devil then some would certainly misunderstand as a lot have a hard time understanding the concept of Love thine Enemy. We can love our friends and anyone does that but as Christians we need to love our enemies too. But do we love Satan in the same tense or should we be angry with Satan or should we try hard at not giving him any time what so ever which as human that is equally hard to do. No doubt suffering from OCD as you admitt via scruples then certain aspects of this discussion would be harder for you to determine whether you should love Satan as in loving our enemies or hate satan as in loving our enemies. Is it a question that has an answer to anyway? It a philisophical question that would tie some of us in knots which Satan may be laying out for us to trap us or God laying out to stretch us depending where we are at, at that moment. I would recommend discussing this wholly with a spiritual director and spend some time discussing it. May be do a bit of research and writing your own essay on it and find out where you reach and perhaps putting the essay up here because am sure some would like to read it. Is hating a mortal sin is the black and white question to answer. If hate is a mortal sin then straight forward the answer would be yes it a mortal sin. But as I said since anger is and it seems to be okay to be angry with God then the more complicated answer. You wont get any concrete answer for it so loaded but some people be very sure of their answer which is different to the ‘right’ answer.
good luck

Don’t be so hard on yourself, do your best and know God loves you. I have a close friend who has dealt with scruples most of his life and honestly the best way to deal with it is to seek a good spiritual advisor who can guide you. From what was explained to me, by handing over a very taxing conscious to a capable advisor you train yourself not to worry so you can focus on cultivating your faith.

That being said my humble opinion is that while yes it is natural to dislike the evil-one and his minions one should keep in mind that God loves us all including the fallen. Instead of destroying them God went so far as to make a place for them where God is present but not felt (Hell). At least this is how I understood the answer when I asked this question to my advisor years ago.

As far as your point on wishing/praying for them to go to Hell, it is the place God made for the evil one. They come here to escape it. I doubt it’s a mortal sin to feel anger at the one(s) who torments us daily. It is a normal reaction to want to defend yourself and your family. However, it gives an opportunity to get closer to God and Jesus knowing that we cannot defend ourselves without God, Jesus, Mary, Angels, and Saints.
I respond to racing thoughts by:
A) Not allowing it to affect my peace (honestly the hardest part)
B) Offering it up in prayer as a sacrifice
C) Discussing it with my advisor to see how I can grow/learn from the experience/thoughts.

I also recall reading that many saints are distracted during prayer and it is one of the challenges to grow in faith and prayer.
God Bless and keep up the good work

englishredrose: Scruples is often more complicated than just OCD, I am not going to go into the exact range and depth of the issue here. However, as someone who has dedicated themselves the mental health field and with a close friend who suffered from scruples it requires (like you mentioned) a good spiritual director. As far as your point I agree its a loaded question but my opinion is to go by the fruit of the spirit and have joy, peace, humility, and patience in our sufferings (be it from the evil-one or otherwise).

Hating the wicked is a normal part of becoming Christian. It is not possible to fear & love God and yet feel joy when somebody is committing sin, and Satan has committed his life to this.

Ben Sira 12: 1-7
If you do good, know to whom you do it,
and you will be thanked for your good deeds.
Do good to the devout, and you will be repaid—
if not by them, certainly by the Most High.
No good comes to one who persists in evil
or to one who does not give alms.
Give to the devout, but do not help the sinner.
Do good to the humble, but do not give to the ungodly;
hold back their bread, and do not give it to them,
for by means of it they might subdue you;
then you will receive twice as much evil
for all the good you have done to them.
For the Most High also hates sinners
and will inflict punishment on the ungodly.
Give to the one who is good, but do not help the sinner.

We shouldn’t hate anything except sin. Because of what it does to us. God is love. If God is completely love in his being, can he possibly hate satan? No. But that dosen’t mean that one cannot oppose satan in his evil works that he performs. He is bent on leading us into sin and therefore must be opposed.

Remember the St. Michael prayer where it says, “…may God restrain him we humbly pray,…”. The word restrain is not hateful. “…cast into hell…” is not the same as hate since this is another way of restraining him, and it is already the place he chose as his home.

Satan is a creature of God with a soul, and as such, should be respected but not hated.
We may very well dislike and hate what he does.

The big problem with hate is, are we any different than satan if we behave as he does?
Hate changes a person…even chemically. I believe satan would like for everyone to hate him because that would just be another way for him to stealthily lead us away from Love itself.

I also believe that many christians don’t understand this and do not think there is anything unbecoming to a christian in the hatred of satan. It is one of our mistakes on the lower end of the pecking order.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

Surely, it’s not a sin to hate the devil.

I use to be one who hated the devil. I can’t say that I’ve fallen in love with him either. But I realized that hate towards anyone does change the hater and not the hated. So I’m drinking the poisen to kill my enemy.

I’m not so sure if it would be a sin to hate the devil since I believe that many are mistaken that in so doing, they are doing the virtuous thing. But in reality, we really should not hate anyone in the whole wide universe since they are created good by our Loving God. They are part of his creation.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

Father Vincent Serpa has given you the answer, here: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?threadid=826327
No need for further discussion.

I don’t know who Ben Sira is (Buddhist?) but this set of instructions doesn’t jive with the Heart of Christ. Above is the ‘worldly way’ - it’s a piece of cake to do and we get to decide who the sinners are! I don’t know who the “Most High” God is in this scenario, but it is not the Christ-God of the NT.

Hating the wicked is a normal part of becoming Christian.

I do hope that you are ‘becoming a Christian’ from a non-New Testament religion and will soon see your experience of Christ change your mind and heart.

1John 4:16. We have come to know and have believed the Love which God has for us. God is Love, and he who abides in Love abides in God, and God in him.

Matt 5:

1. Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

2. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

3. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47. And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

1. Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.