Is it a mortal sin to shop at Starbucks?

What if you needed to meet there for a study group or for a job interview?
And if it is a mortal sin or a venial sin, didn't Jesus eat in a bad person's house once? How is what Jesus did different in this case?

I go there to sit and get away from things.
But I hear they support planned parenthood and that they push gay marriage really hard.
The CEO recently told one of their shareholders who complained about it, if he did not like it to sell his stock because they value diversity. It seems like such an assault on marriage and that they are hell bent on destroying it.

All that being said, I do not know if I am being scrupulous.

Thanks

Goodness, no.

You are being scrupulous.

Certainly one can make buying decisions, and perhaps patronize a coffee shop that does not suppot such causes, but you are not committing a sin by going to Starbucks.

My understanding of Starbucks is that they don't support Planned Parenthood as a company, but they do allow their employees to donate from their paychecks to places that they (the employees) choose.

I work for a large bank, and every year we have the opportunity to donate to the charities of our choice through the United Way. Yes, Planned Parenthood is one of the available choices. I choose to donate to a local Catholic soup kitchen and I get to take advantage of a dollar for dollar company match. It's kind of my way to Stick it to the Man!

[quote="RichT, post:4, topic:321228"]
My understanding of Starbucks is that they don't support Planned Parenthood as a company, but they do allow their employees to donate from their paychecks to places that they (the employees) choose.

I work for a large bank, and every year we have the opportunity to donate to the charities of our choice through the United Way. Yes, Planned Parenthood is one of the available choices. I choose to donate to a local Catholic soup kitchen and I get to take advantage of a dollar for dollar company match. It's kind of my way to Stick it to the Man!

[/quote]

Even if they did, as do many other companies, you're not directly contributing to the abortion industry. You're paying to buy a cup of coffee, which is a moral, legitimate business. What they do with their income is on them, not on you.

As a Canadian resident though, drinking Starbucks instead of Tim Horton's is probably sinful....:D

Remote, material cooperation is not mortally sinful. There is so many decisions that take place between your purchase of a Starbucks product and the Starbucks CEO that decides to donate to PP that you are not affecting their decisions - you are remote. You are giving them the money that may go to PP, but you do not will that - so you are only materially cooperating.

If you shopped there specifically because they donate to PP, then you'd be guilty of remote, formal cooperation - a mortal sin. If they were holding a fundraiser whereby PP was passing out birth control and you joined in, you'd be guilty of proximate, formal cooperation - a mortal sin.

What you describe is barely remote, material cooperation - if that. You're buying coffee, which is a morally neutral act in and of itself.

Thanks. I do not know if I like giving them my money much anymore, but at least now I know I am not committing any sins if I do. thanks.

[quote="js_cat3391, post:1, topic:321228"]
What if you needed to meet there for a study group or for a job interview?
And if it is a mortal sin or a venial sin, didn't Jesus eat in a bad person's house once? How is what Jesus did different in this case?

I go there to sit and get away from things.
But I hear they support planned parenthood and that they push gay marriage really hard.
The CEO recently told one of their shareholders who complained about it, if he did not like it to sell his stock because they value diversity. It seems like such an assault on marriage and that they are hell bent on destroying it.

All that being said, I do not know if I am being scrupulous.

Thanks

[/quote]

If you are using a computer on the Internet - as you clearly are - you are using and likely have purchased software and possibly hardware by technology companies that "support Planned Parenthood" and "gay marriage," at least (as pointed out by others) by employee contributions being matched in a corporate matching gift program. The advice of others is good regarding remote material cooperation.

The sin is on Starbucks for charging those ridiculous prices for a cup of joe !!

I prefer Caribou coffee instead. ;) :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.